Microsoft Azure Backup Server (MABS) is a cloud-first backup solution of Azure Backup to protect data and workloads across heterogeneous IT environments of enterprises. It is available as a free download with Azure Backup without the requirement of System Center License or an SQL license for the server DB. We are excited to announce that Azure Backup Server now supports VMware VM backup to disk and to cloud for offsite copy or long term retention. Prior to this update, Azure Backup Server protected workloads such as SQL, Exchange, Sharepoint and files on Windows servers running either on physical machines or Hyper-V, VMware virtual machines.
What can customers expect from VMware VM backup with Azure Backup Server
- Agentless Backup: Azure Backup Server uses VMware’s VADP API to protect VMware VMs remotely without installing agents on vCenter or ESXi servers, freeing administrators from the hassle of managing agents for VMware VM backup.
- Discoverability and Auto-Protection: Customers can seamlessly discover and protect VMware VMs residing on external storage targets too such as NFS and cluster storage. Managing large environments is effortless since VMs are discovered and protected at folder level. Any future VMs added to a protected folder are backed up automatically.
- Integrated Hybrid backup: Customers can back up to disk for faster operational recovery and to cloud for offsite copy or long term retention.
Get started with VMware backup with Azure Backup Server
If you are new to Azure Backup Server and want to enable Microsoft Azure Backup Server, you can download Microsoft Azure Backup Server and start protecting your infrastructure today.
After installing Azure Backup Server, please download and install Update 1 to get started with VMware backup.
Be sure to go through 4 simple steps to protect VMware VMs using Azure Backup Server. Please reach out to VMwareVMBkp@microsoft.com for any questions or clarifications.
In Aug 2016, we announced VMware backup using System Center Data Protection Manager for customers who already have System Center license.
- Browse documentation or reach out to the Azure Backup forum to support
- Tell us how we can improve Azure Backup: Contribute new ideas and vote on existing ones
- Follow us on Twitter and Channel9