Built-in backup solution for all your resources
Simplify data protection with built-in management at scale
Azure Backup is a cost-effective, secure, one-click backup solution that’s scalable based on your backup storage needs. The centralized management interface makes it easy to define backup policies and protect a wide range of enterprise workloads, including Azure Virtual Machines, SQL and SAP databases, and Azure file shares.
Monitor, operate, govern, and optimize data protection at scale in a unified and consistent manner using Backup Center.
Back up and restore data from virtual machines with application consistency in Windows using Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) and in Linux with pre- and post- processing scripts.
Back up Azure Virtual Machines, on-premises servers, SQL Server and SAP HANA on Azure Virtual Machines, Azure Files, and Azure Database for PostgreSQL.
Durable storage options
Store your backups in locally redundant storage (LRS), geo-redundant storage (GRS), and zone-redundant storage (ZRS).
Manage backup data at scale
- Natively manage your entire backup estate from a central console using Backup Center.
- Automatically onboard and configure Azure Backup on production virtual machines (VMs) using Azure AutomanagePREVIEW.
- Use APIs, PowerShell, and Azure CLI to automate Backup policy and security configurations.
Secure your backups
- Protect against ransomware by enabling multifactor authentication using a security PIN generated in the Azure portal.
- Fully control how you protect and access your data with customer-managed keys that use 256-bit AES encryption.
- Ensure recovery of items with no data loss for up to 14 days after an unauthorized deletion by enabling soft delete.
- Create private endpoints within your Azure Virtual Network to securely back up and restore data from your Recovery Services vaults.
Efficiently manage backups
- Simplify workload protection with built-in backup capabilities and save time with one-click backup support for VMs, Azure file shares, SQL and SAP HANA databases, and Azure Database for PostgreSQL.
- Manage resources through the Azure portal, Azure SDK, and Azure CLI, and across vaults, subscriptions, and tenants.
- Ensure database-consistent snapshots for Oracle and MySQL databases running on Linux VMs in Azure.
Reduce your costs
- Eliminate the need for tape or offsite backup.
- Get cost-effective short- and long-term retention of backup data.
- Restore SQL Database, individual files, folders, and VMs in Azure or on-premises at no additional cost.
- Selectively back up disks within a VM to tailor your backup needs.
- Use the Optimize tab in Backup reports to rightsize backup storage for significant cost savings.
- Estimate and compare costs using the Backup pricing estimator.
Why trust Azure Backup?
Microsoft invests more than USD 1 billion annually on cybersecurity research and development.
We employ more than 3,500 security experts who are dedicated to data security and privacy.
Azure has more certifications than any other cloud provider. View the comprehensive list.
Get started with Backup in three steps
How our customers are using Backup
Food producer innovates faster in Azure
Smithfield Foods, a USD15 billion business, quickly migrated hundreds of applications to Azure, then used Azure Backup to back up data both on-premises and in Azure.
SDSU cuts storage costs by backing up to Azure
Tom Voss, IT Operations Manager, San Diego State University
"As we shift from our on-premises cloud to public cloud, we'll spend even less time operating that storage backup and compute infrastructure, and more time focusing on more important business needs."
Dutch cities unload the burden of backing up data
Three municipalities in the Netherlands consolidated their IT infrastructures on Azure and used Backup for coverage.
Executive advisory firm moves backups to the cloud
Sean DeLessio, Lead Engineer, Distributed Infrastructure Team, Russell Reynolds
"We don't have to worry about managing space on expensive, purpose-built backup storage systems. We have no tape costs, management costs, nothing. Backup is dramatically cheaper with Azure."
UK municipality backs up workloads to Azure
Somerset backed up 2,790 system streams—including VMware virtual machines and Microsoft SQL Server databases—with Backup, producing a six-digit cost savings.
Mining company protects SAP workload in the cloud
Rio Tinto runs SAP in an Azure infrastructure as a service (IaaS) environment, including Azure Virtual Machines, Azure Virtual Network, Azure Storage, and Azure Backup.
Frequently asked questions about Backup
Backup supports Azure Virtual Machines, SQL workloads, and on-premises VMware machines. See a full list of supported resources.
A Recovery Services vault is a storage entity in Azure that houses data, including data copies and configuration information, for virtual machines, workloads, servers, and workstations.
Yes, Backup provides role-based access control, including built-in contributor, operator, and reader roles, to control cloud backup management operations.
Both Backup and Site Recovery support backup and disaster recovery. Backup is designed specifically to back up and restore data, while Site Recovery is designed to perform seamless application disaster recovery.