Visual Studio subscriptions—previously MSDN subscriptions
Access a comprehensive set of resources for creating, deploying, and managing applications on your preferred devices and platforms
Create, deploy, and manage applications on your platforms and devices
The most comprehensive set of resources for you to create, deploy, and manage great applications on your preferred platforms and devices, including Android, iOS, Linux, macOS, Windows, web, and the cloud.
Build apps for any operations system using a rich IDE with advanced debugging
Get monthly credits as well as discounted rates to learn, develop, and test in Azure
Embrace modern DevOps practices using team collaboration services
Access world-class training and support to stay up to date on the newest technologies
Access developer tools
Visual Studio is the integrated development environment (IDE) designed for creating powerful, scalable applications for Azure. Develop, debug, and monitor cloud applications locally, and deploy to production using powerful integration tools. Use the range of features and capabilities to quickly and efficiently create highly secure applications optimized for the cloud.Learn more
Try out cloud services
Test and experiment with different Azure services risk-free, using a monthly Azure dev/test individual credit. Plus get exclusive access to run Windows 10 desktop images for dev/test.Learn more
Improve team collaboration
Plan smarter, collaborate better, and ship faster with a set of modern dev services. Use all the DevOps services or just choose what you need to complement your existing workflows.Learn about Azure Devops
Use Azure for dev/test
Leverage discounted rates on Azure to support your ongoing development and testing. You also receive cloud use rights of your subscription software that’s included in your Visual Studio subscription on Azure to help your Azure credits go farther. Leverage Windows Virtual Desktop to quickly deploy and manage hundreds of VMs for development and testing purposes.Learn more about Azure dev/test pricing
Get training and support
Take your skills to the next level with in-depth training on the latest trends and technologies. Included in your Visual Studio subscription is access to training from Pluralsight and LinkedIn Learning courses. Rely on technical experts to help solve issues you encounter in your dev/test environments.
Frequently asked questions about Visual Studio subscriptions
A variety of purchase options provide flexibility to both individual developers and organizations.
- If you’re purchasing for an organization, you can leverage our volume licensing options to help your organization get the best value. Learn more.
- Visual Studio monthly subscriptions provide the flexibility of month-to-month terms and focus on providing the core development tools and services. They’re available via two channels:
- Cloud Solution Provider (CSP) program—partners in the CSP program can help you manage your entire lifecycle for the Microsoft cloud, including billing and support. The Microsoft online services that are available through the CSP program include Microsoft 365, Office 365, Dynamics 365, Enterprise Mobility + Security, Windows 10, and many more in per user, per month subscriptions. Learn more.
- Visual Studio Marketplace—monthly subscriptions are also available through the Visual Studio Marketplace, where you can use a new or existing Azure subscription to purchase Visual Studio monthly subscriptions. Learn more.
- You can also purchase Visual Studio subscriptions from Microsoft Store online or in the physical store. This option is ideal for the individual user that needs a more comprehensive subscription with all the benefits available. Learn more.
For more information, visit our pricing page.
Depending on the subscription level you choose, you may receive tools, Azure benefits, software downloads, services, training and support. Learn more on our benefits webpage.
Visual Studio is the integrated development environment (IDE) designed for creating powerful, scalable applications for Azure.
Your organization can buy any mix of subscription types you need. You can also purchase them through any combination of channels you wish, such as Microsoft Volume Licensing, Microsoft Store, or Visual Studio Marketplace. Keep in mind, though, that subscriptions purchased through various channels may be managed differently, so using several channels can introduce some complexity.
- Subscriptions purchased through Microsoft Store are done at the individual level. These subscriptions contain all the benefits available in a Visual Studio subscription including the Visual Studio IDE, Azure DevOps, and Azure DevOps Server as well as all of the other services, tools, software and downloads, and training and support benefits. Learn more.
- Microsoft Volume Licensing is generally the choice of large organizations as they receive a discount when buying bulk quantities. Subscriptions available through Volume Licensing have the same benefits as those purchased through Microsoft Store and contain the Visual Studio IDE, Azure benefits, services, tools, software and downloads, and training and support benefits. These purchases are made through resellers and are often accompanied by additional license purchases for the rest of the organization. These subscriptions are provisioned through the Visual Studio Subscription Administration Portal. Learn more.
- Monthly subscriptions are usually purchased by an individual or a small- or medium-sized business. These contain the Visual Studio IDE, Azure DevOps, and Azure DevOps Server, but they include none of the other services, such as Azure credits, tools, training, and support resources that are included in the standard subscriptions. Monthly subscriptions offer more flexibility because they’re available at a monthly rate. These subscriptions are provisioned through the Visual Studio Subscription Administration Portal. Learn more.
For more details, visit the pricing page.
Azure dev/test individual credits are included in a Visual Studio subscription and licensed for dev/test scenarios, not production environments. For that reason, these are separate from your existing Azure subscription and are to be utilized as a place to learn and explore Azure.