Azure SQL Database
Build on fast, flexible, and elastic SQL
Power your resource-intensive apps and keep mission-critical workloads running at peak performance.Accelerate time to market with support for multiple data formats, platforms, and popular languages.
Build scalable and secure apps
Azure data platform connection
Local development environment
Data API builder
Intelligent query processing
Security and governance
Pricing for the intelligent, relational cloud database service
See how customers are innovating with Azure SQL Database
Kaushik Mukherjee, Head of Software Engineering, udaan
Flexible, scalable engineering
Jochen Fischer, Senior Software and Security Architect, Deutsche Post DHL Group
Powering a sustainable future
Paul Hill, Principal Cloud Architect, Schneider Electric
Improved data protection
Shane Gallagher, Software Engineer, Loyal
Get started with Azure SQL Database
Azure SQL Database is available as a single database with its own set of resources managed via a logical server, and as a pooled database in an elastic pool, with a shared set of resources managed through a logical server. In general, elastic pools are designed for a typical software-as-a-service (SaaS) application pattern, with one database per customer or tenant. With pools, you manage the collective performance, and the databases scale up or down automatically.
Azure Hybrid Benefit helps you maximize the value of your current licensing investments and accelerate your migration to the cloud. Azure Hybrid Benefit for SQL Server is an Azure-based benefit that enables you to use your SQL Server licenses with active Microsoft Software Assurance to pay a reduced rate ("base rate") on vCore-based Azure SQL services. Further optimize your costs with centralized management of your Azure Hybrid Benefit across your entire subscription or billing account.
Learn more about Azure Hybrid Benefit. Learn more about centralized management.
No. Azure SQL Database is a fully managed database service—Microsoft operates SQL Server for you and ensures its availability and performance. SQL Database also includes features to enhance your business continuity and security, such as built-in high availability and threat detection, so that you don't have to worry about administering or maintaining your SQL Server databases.
Learn more about built-in high availability. Learn more about threat detection.
The vCore-based service tiers are primarily differentiated by availability, storage type, and input/output (I/O) per second. General purpose is a budget-oriented option that's best when input/output performance or failover time is not the priority. Hyperscale is optimized for online transaction processing (OLTP) and hybrid transactional analytical workloads. The business critical tier is best for OLTP applications with high transaction rates and low I/O latency requirements.
Learn more about vCore-based service tiers.
Connectivity between Azure SQL Database and the Azure internet gateway is guaranteed at least 99.99 percent of the time, regardless of your service tier. The remaining 0.01 percent is reserved for patches, upgrades, and failovers. For more information, read the SLA and learn about the high-availability architecture.
SQL databases, also known as relational databases, are systems that store collections of tables and organize structured sets of data in a tabular columns-and-rows format, similar to that of a spreadsheet.
Learn more about SQL databases.