Linux on Azure
Run and manage applications your way with your preferred Linux distribution on Azure
Get a seamless Linux experience for every workload
Azure offers a range of common Linux distributions including Red Hat, SUSE, and Ubuntu by Canonical. Create your own Linux virtual machines (VMs), deploy and run containers in Kubernetes, or choose from hundreds of preconfigured images and Linux workloads in Azure Marketplace. To run community-supported Linux distributions on Azure, simply upload your preferred Linux OS image.
- Avoid lengthy lead time for Linux environment preparation and migrate with less friction.
- Spend less time on administrative tasks with intuitive Linux open-source environment and application management tools.
- Get complete integrated support for Red Hat and SUSE.
- Streamline the creation of fully governed environments with Azure landing zones using Bicep.
- Build scalable applications with scale sets for Linux VMs. Create and manage a group of load-balanced VMs that can automatically increase or decrease in response to demand or a defined schedule.
- Detect weak spots across your cloud configuration, help strengthen the overall security posture of your environment, and protect workloads across multicloud and hybrid environments from evolving threats with Microsoft Defender for Cloud.
- Simplify security operations and speed up threat responses with Microsoft Sentinel, an AI-based security information and event management (SIEM) service.
- Prevent identity mismanagement across your Linux and Windows workloads with Azure role-based access control and Azure Active Directory (Azure AD).
- Balance compliance with business agility using governance tools like Azure Policy.
- Manage your cloud spend with transparency and accuracy through Microsoft Cost Management.
- Simplify data protection with Azure Backup, a one-click backup solution that scales based on your needs.
- Minimize downtime and ensure business continuity during planned and unplanned outages with Azure Site Recovery.
- Get full observability into your applications, cloud infrastructure, and network with Azure Monitor.
- Manage your Linux services across cloud and on-premises environments using Azure Arc.
- Build a truly consistent hybrid cloud infrastructure by integrating your on-premises and cloud environments with Azure Stack and the Open Service Broker API.
- Accelerate your hybrid high-performance computing (HPC) workloads at the edge with built-in, high-speed data storage from Avere vFXT for Azure.
- Apply containers to your hybrid Red Hat workloads with Azure Red Hat OpenShift.
- Experience high throughput and low latency for all endorsed Linux distributions with best-in-class InfiniBand networks.
- Azure Hybrid Benefit for Linux pay-as-you-go VMs and Linux bring-your-own-subscription (BYOS) VMs enables you to bring your existing Linux subscription and licenses to Azure.
- Reduce costs up to 72 percent compared to pay-as-you-go pricing for Linux on Azure. Lower your upfront cash outflow with monthly payment options at no additional cost.
- Reserve resources up front to help plan for long-term success. Take advantage of one-year or three-year terms to support your budget goals.
Accelerate your innovation and digital transformation with Red Hat Linux solutions on Azure.
Take advantage of high-performance solutions that come with running SUSE Linux on Azure.
Easily discover, assess, and migrate your on-premises virtual machines to Azure.
Provision Windows and Linux virtual machines in seconds.
Optimize your Ubuntu experience on Azure, delivered in partnership with Canonical.
Resources and documentation
Discover how to migrate and modernize Linux-based workloads with Azure for improved scalability, security, and privacy.
Find supporting resources and documentation to streamline your journey to running Linux on Azure.
Get the latest Linux and open-source migration guidance, news, and resources
Find the right Linux VMs for your needs and budget with the VM selector
After a few simple steps, the VM selector tool identifies the best VM and disk storage combination based on the workload requirements and technical specifications you enter. Add the selected VMs to the pricing calculator for a comprehensive cost analysis.
Customers are innovating with Linux on Azure
Lufthansa relies on Azure to run its AVIATAR system
Johannes Hansen, Senior Director, Process Automation and Technology, AVIATAR
"With Microsoft Azure, we get an open and flexible cloud infrastructure that supports our Red Hat ecosystem and helps us deliver superior products to our customers."
Walgreens Boots Alliance scales retail operations with SUSE Linux
Because of its long-standing relationship with Microsoft, Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA) looked to Azure for a SAP on SUSE Linux solution that would scale up to the company’s worldwide retail chain.
Greggs serves up ease of management and modern security
Scott Clennell, Platform and Infrastructure Services Manager, Greggs
"Azure Arc supports us by freeing up our time from the day-to-day activities of the technical team and focusing on the customer value-add activities. It helps us to make sure that services are always on at the right time for the customer."
TomTom maps a path to innovation with Linux on Azure
Koen Denecker, Vice President of Platform Engineering, TomTom
"By choosing a cloud platform that supports Linux so beautifully, we can embrace open-source innovation in an unconstrained manner. Azure supplies the management and control capabilities coupled with the safety, security, and compliance we need."
ACI Worldwide reimagines convenience for bank customers
Sam Jawad, Head of Banking and Financial Intermediaries, ACI Worldwide
"The joint credibility of ACI Worldwide and Microsoft in the marketplace will help us redefine the future of payments as we use imaginative solutions like Linux on Azure. That can only happen with a partner like Microsoft."
See available Linux VM images
Browse all the published Linux distributions and workloads on Azure Marketplace.
Explore the Linux on Azure learning path
Learn more about onboarding your first Linux workload with Microsoft Learn courses.
Ready when you are
Try deploying a Linux virtual machine in the Linux on Azure simulator to see it in action.