Run jobs on simple or complex recurring schedules
Azure Scheduler allows you to invoke actions—such as calling HTTP/S endpoints or posting a message to a storage queue—on any schedule. With Scheduler, you create jobs in the cloud that reliably call services both inside and outside of Azure and run those jobs on demand, on a regularly recurring schedule, or designate them for a future date. This service is currently available as a standalone API.
Use Scheduler to:
Invoke a Web Service over HTTP/s
With Scheduler, you can invoke any web service endpoint once or on a recurring schedule over HTTP/s. Today, several internal services utilize Scheduler to enable a variety of scenarios, including:
- A globally available consumer SaaS app turns to the Scheduler to invoke a web service that performs data management on a set schedule
- Azure Mobile Services powers its scheduled scripts feature with the Scheduler
- Another Azure service uses the Scheduler to regularly invoke a web service that performs diagnostic log cleanup and data aggregation
Post a message to an Azure Storage Queue
You can also use the Scheduler to post a message to a storage queue, enabling asynchronous processing of recurring requests without needing to stand up a web service. You unlock several additional scenarios when your job can simply ready from a queue, namely:
- Process long running requests - Http/s requests will timeout when a response is not received within a certain amount of time. For complex requests, such as a series of SQL queries against a large database, posting a message to storage queues allows you to complete the work without building additional asynchronous logic into your web service.
- Enable a service to be invoked when offline - Typically, a web service needs to be online at the time the Scheduler invokes the endpoint. With messages posted to storage queues, however, the service can be offline when the Scheduler sends the message and field the request when it later comes online.
View pricing details. Browse the documentation center for resources. Explore flexible purchase options.