Azure Data Lake Storage pricing Preview
A no-limits data lake to power intelligent action
Unlock maximum value from all your unstructured, semi-structured, and structured data using the first cloud data lake built for enterprises—with no limits on the size of data. Azure Data Lake Storage Gen1 is secured, massively scalable, and built to the open HDFS standard, allowing you to run massively-parallel analytics.
US government entities are eligible to purchase Azure Government services from a licensing solution provider with no upfront financial commitment, or directly through a pay-as-you-go online subscription.
Important—The price in R$ is merely a reference; this is an international transaction and the final price is subject to exchange rates and the inclusion of IOF taxes. An eNF will not be issued.
Azure Germany is available to customers and partners who have already purchased this, doing business in the European Union (EU), the European Free Trade Association (EFTA), and in the United Kingdom (UK). It provides data residency in Germany with additional levels of control and data protection. You can also sign up for a free Azure trial.
Azure Data Lake Storage is not available in the Germany Central region. Please select another region.
Azure Data Lake Storage is not available in the Germany Northeast region. Please select another region.
The total cost of Azure Data Lake Storage Gen1 depends on how much you store, as well as the volume and size of transactions and outbound data transfers.
Storage is available in pay-as-you-go and monthly commitment packages.
|First 100 TB||$- per GB|
|Next 100 TB to 1,000 TB||$- per GB|
|Next 1,000 TB to 5,000 TB||$- per GB|
|Over 5,000 TB||Contact Us|
Monthly commitment packages
Monthly commitment packages provide you with a significant discount (up to 33%) compared to pay-as-you-go pricing.
|Committed Capacity||Price/Month||Savings over pay-as-you-go|
|1 TB||$-||12% 12% 12%|
|10 TB||$-||20% 15% 20%|
|100 TB||$-||27% 20% 27%|
|500 TB||$-||32% 24% 32%|
|1,000 TB||$-||33% 24% 33%|
|Over 1,000 TB||Contact Us|
Overage after the included storage amount will be billed at $-/GB/month.
The following prices apply to transactions performed against your data. The same transaction rates apply for both pay-as-you-go as well as monthly commitment packages.
|Write operations (per 10,000)||$-|
|Read operations (per 10,000)||$-|
|Transaction size limit||No limit|
Every operation to Azure Data Lake Storage Gen1 is billed as a single transaction. This includes HTTP operations and operations made by Azure Data Lake Analytics jobs.
Azure Data Lake Storage Gen1 transactions are incurred any time you read and write data to the service. Every time a user, an application, or another Azure service reads or writes data up to 4 MB in size, it's billed as one transaction. For example, if one write operation puts 128 KB of data into Data Lake Storage Gen1, it's billed as one transaction. Transactions are billed in increments of up to 4 MB, so if an item is larger than 4 MB, it will be billed in multiple increments. For example, if one read operation gets 9 MB of data from Data Lake Storage Gen1, it's billed as three transactions (4 MB + 4 MB + 1 MB).
Let’s see how transactions appear on your bill based on read and write operations. For this, assume a scenario where your application writes data into Data Lake Storage Gen1 at a rate of 10 items per second, each item being 8 MB. Additionally, let’s say you’re ingesting data using Azure IoT Hub into Data Lake Storage Gen1 at a rate of 5 items per second, each item being less than 4 MB. Let’s also assume that you have a Data Lake Analytics job that runs for 4 hours per day, while reading 1,000 items per second when the job is running, each item being less than 4 MB. In the above scenario, Data Lake Storage Gen1 will charge for write transactions for your application and Azure IoT Hub writing data, and read transactions for Data Lake Analytics reading data from Data Lake Storage Gen1. You will be charged the following:
Item Usage volume per Month Rate per Month Monthly Cost Write transactions from customer application 2 * (10 items/second * 3,600 * 730) $0.05 per 10,000 transactions $262.8 Write transactions from Azure IoT Hub 5 items/second * 3,600 * 730 $0.05 per 10,000 transactions $65.7 Read transactions from Data Lake Analytics 1,000 items/second * 3600 * 4 * 31 $0.004 per 10,000 transactions $178.56 Total transactions cost $507.06
The read and write operations generated from all applications and services, including Azure Data Lake Analytics, depend on a large variety of factors. There’s no easy way to accurately predict the number of operations generated by every application. To estimate your transaction costs, you should run a representative workload for a controlled duration and observe the number of reads and writes, and the resulting transactions that are billed.
Yes. Storage capacity is billed in units of the average daily amount of data stored, in gigabytes (GB), over a monthly period. For example, if you consistently used 10 GB of storage for the first half of the month and none for the second half of the month, you would be billed for your average usage of 5 GB of storage.
Example—You store 120TB of data for the whole month in Azure Data Lake Storage Gen1. During this month, you perform 100 million operations on this data. Let’s say that 20% of these operations are write operations and the other 80% are read operations. This is how your total cost will be calculated with pay-as-you-go:
Unit of measure Usage volume Price Monthly cost GB per month 120 * 1,024= 122,800 $0.039 for the first 100 TB, $0.038 for the next 20 TB 100 * 1,024 * $0.039 + 20 * 1,024 * $0.038 = $4771.84 Write operations 20% * 100M = 20M $0.05 per 10,000 transactions 2,000 * $0.05 = $100 Read operations 80% * 100M = 80M $0.004 per 10,000 transactions 8,000 * $0.004 = $32 Total $4903.84
Billing for monthly commitment packages works in the following ways:
- A billing cycle is aligned to calendar month. Therefore, it always starts on the first day of the month and ends on the last day of the month.
- When you commit for the first time to a package, we’ll prorate the monthly price to the days left within that month. As an example, if you commit to the 100 TB package and there are 10 days left within that month, you will immediately get 100 TB at a price of $935.484 ($2900 / 31 days in a month * 10 days left). We prorate the price by 31 days to make sure that the proration is always in your favor.
- You can choose a new package at any time during a month. The change will be effective the first day of the next calendar month. For example, if during a month you have a package of 10 TB and decide to commit to a 100 TB package, this change will apply on the first day of the next calendar month. For the current calendar month, you will remain on the 10 TB package.
- When your storage consumption goes over the limit of your package, you will be charged for overage consumption at a rate of $0.039/GB per month prorated daily. As an example, if you go over the limit of your package by 100 GB for 10 days, you will be billed— 100 * $0.039/31 * 10 = $1.259
- The monthly commitment package is applied to an Azure Data Lake Storage Gen1 account. Currently, we don't allow applying multiple monthly commitment package purchases per account. For example, if you need to store 200 TB of data, you can't purchase two 100 TB monthly commitment packages for the same account. The best option would be to purchase a 100 TB month commitment package, and pay overage for the other 100 TB.
Example—You start a month with a 100 TB package, and store 100 TB for the first 15 days, and then subsequently store 120 TB for the next 16 days in your Data Lake Storage Gen1 account. During this month, you perform 100 million operations on this data. Let’s say that 20% of these operations are write operations and the other 80% are read operations. This is how your total cost will be calculated with a monthly commitment package:
Unit of measure Usage volume Price Monthly cost 100 TB Package n/a $2900 $2900 Overage in GB 20 * 1,024 = 20,480 GB $0.039/month prorated daily 20,480 * $0.039 * 16 / 31 = $412.243 Write operations 20% * 100 M = 20 M $0.05 per 10,000 transactions 2,000 * $0.05 = $100 Read operations 80% * 100 M = 80 M $0.004 per 10,000 transactions 8,000 * $0.004 = $32 Total $3444.243
Yes. Metadata for files and folders is accumulated in the storage capacity for billing. Azure Data Lake Storage Gen1 has a minimum billable file or folder size of 256 KB. Smaller files may be stored but the amount of data billed will be the larger of (a) total data stored in the account (b) 256 KB * (number of files and folders).
The following table illustrates some examples on how this is calculated.
Amount of data stored in the account Number of files and folders in the account Metadata storage size Data stored (For billing calculation) A B C = 256 KB * B MAX (A, C) 100 bytes 1 256 KB 256 KB 300 KB 2 512 KB 512 KB 100 MB 10 2,560 KB 100 MB 1 GB 100 25,600 KB 1 GB
As illustrated by the examples above, we recommend storing data in larger files to save costs for storing metadata.
Estimate your monthly costs for Azure services
Review Azure pricing frequently asked questions
Learn more about Azure Data Lake Storage
Review technical tutorials, videos, and more resources