3 min read
To further our commitment to providing the latest in cloud innovation for government customers we’re excited to announce the general availability of HDInsight and Power BI Pro in Microsoft Cloud for Government. HDInsight and Power BI bring exciting new capabilities to Azure Government that enable organizations to manage, analyze, and visualize large quantities of data. HDInsight unlocks the ability to build data and machine learning applications that run-on Apache Spark and Hadoop. Power BI allows for the aggregation of data and visualization with easy to operate dashboard functionality.
We are also announcing a preview of Cognitive Services in Azure Government. We have enabled scenarios such as audio and text translation into other languages as well as facial (gender and age) and emotion recognition with Computer Vision and Emotion. If you’re interested in participating in the Azure Government Cognitive Services preview, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
With these capabilities working today, we can take data and derive insight in minutes. Here’s a video example of these capabilities working together. In this demo, we leveraged HDInsight, Power BI and Machine Learning along with our Cognitive Services (available in preview for Azure Government) to show how you can easily build a solution to translate and analyze text and visualize the results.
Some partners are leveraging these capabilities to provide real time dashboards for their solutions, such as Prabal Acharyya, WW Director IoT Analytics for OSIsoft Technologies. OSISoft provides business solutions that connect sensor-based data, operations, and people to enable real-time intelligence for their customers. Prabal expanded on Power BI’s value, saying:
“Data scientists in U.S. Government spend inordinate amounts of time each day manually scrubbing terabytes of operational data for advanced analytics and business intelligence”, says Acharyya, “OSIsoft is pleased to partner with Microsoft to deliver PI Integrator for Microsoft Azure on Microsoft U.S. Government Cloud with free and fluid access to streaming Power BI-ready data, context & insights to build Innovative Gov solutions”
HDInsight is the only fully-managed cloud Hadoop offering that provides optimized open source analytic clusters for Spark, Hive, MapReduce, HBase, Storm, Kafka, and R Server backed by a 99.9% SLA. Each of these big data technologies and ISV applications are easily deployable as managed clusters with enterprise-level security and monitoring.
HDInsight brings Big Data to Azure Government and broadens the landscape for building powerful data analysis solutions. Examples include:
- Deploy a Big Data analysis cluster in minutes. No upfront costs, get started immediately.
- Enable streaming and processing of large data sets in real time using Kafka, Storm, and Spark for HDInsight.
- Build Machine Learning capabilities with Spark and R Server
- Build intelligent applications that leverage big data to deliver personalized experiences
If you’re looking to get started creating powerful solutions with HDInsight for Azure Government log into the Azure Portal or signup for a trial.
Power BI brings your Big Data solutions to life with live dashboards, interactive reports, and compelling visualizations. Power BI connects to a broad range of data wherever it lives and enables anyone to visualize and analyze data with greater speed, efficiency, and understanding.
Power BI Pro for Microsoft Cloud for Government includes:
- Power BI service is a cloud-based business analytics service that gives you a single view of your most critical data.
- Power BI Desktop puts visual analytics at your fingertips with intuitive report authoring; drag-and-drop to place content exactly where you want it on the flexible and fluid canvas, and quickly discover patterns as you explore a single unified view of linked, interactive visualizations.
- Power BI Mobile helps you stay connected to your data from anywhere, anytime; and get a 360° view of your organization data on the go – at the touch of your fingertips.
Want to get started? Signup for Power BI Pro for Government