Execute event-driven serverless code functions with an end-to-end development experience
Accelerate and simplify serverless application development
Automated, flexible scaling to free you from infrastructure management
Integrated programming model to respond to events and seamlessly connect to other services
End-to-end development experience with integrated tools and built-in DevOps capabilities
Variety of programming languages and hosting options to fit each scenario
Develop your way
- Pick from popular programming languages you already know.
- Start coding right away with the technology stack you use, with no new languages or frameworks to learn.
- Implement a variety of functions and scenarios, such as web apps and APIs with .NET, Node.js, or Java; machine learning workflows with Python; and cloud automation with PowerShell.
Improve your end-to-end serverless development experience
- Get a complete serverless application development experience—from building and debugging locally to deploying and monitoring in the cloud.
- Use Functions extensions on Visual Studio and Visual Studio Code for faster and more efficient development on your local machine, fully integrated with the Azure platform.
- Set up continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) with Azure Pipelines.
- Get intelligent and proactive insights about the performance of serverless applications in production from Azure Monitor.
Simplify complex orchestration challenges resolution
- Use the Durable Functions extension to write stateful workflows in a serverless compute environment.
- Use your serverless functions on declarative workflows that work with more than 250 connectors in Azure Logic Apps.
Connect other services without hard-coding integrations for faster solutions development
- No need to hardcode. Use triggers to define how your functions get invoked and use bindings to declaratively connect other resources to your functions.
- Save coding time with a programming model based on triggers and bindings.
- Build more scalable and stable event-driven applications with a microservices-friendly approach.
Build once, deploy anywhere
- Choose from the Functions hosting plan that best meets your business needs.
- Deploy the same code to multiple targets—from pay-per-execution in the cloud to your Kubernetes cluster hosted in Azure, or Kubernetes in another public cloud, or IoT devices for edge computing.
Comprehensive security and compliance, built in
Microsoft invests more than USD 1 billion annually on cybersecurity research and development.
We employ more than 3,500 security experts dedicated to data security and privacy.
Azure has more certifications than any other cloud provider. View the comprehensive list.
Choose the hosting plan that fits your business needs
Scale automatically and pay only for compute resources when your functions are running. Instances of the Functions host are dynamically added and removed based on the number of incoming events.
While automatically scaling based on demand, use pre-warmed workers to run applications with no delay after being idle, run on more powerful instances, and connect to VNETs.
Azure App Service plan
Run Functions at regular App Service plan rates. It’s a good fit for long running operations, as well as when more predictive scaling and costs are required.
Get started with an Azure free account
Start free. Get $200 credit to use in 30 days. While you have your credit, get free amounts of many of our most popular services, plus free amounts of 40+ other services.
After your credit, move to pay as you go to keep building with the same free services. Only pay if you use more than the free monthly amounts.
After 12 months, you’ll continue getting 40+ always-free services—and still only pay for what you use beyond your free monthly amounts.
See what customers are doing with Azure Functions
Increase development velocity
Zeiss chose Functions because of its simple programming model with declarative bindings, which allowed them to write fewer lines of code.
Save time and costs with a serverless approach
Inlitix, an analytics SaaS provider, scales instantly and delivers a faster and more cost-efficient service to customers using serverless computing.
Achieve scale with no infrastructure management
PWC used Functions to create scalable API for its regulatory obligation knowledge mining solution.
Reduce service integration time
Hotailors can integrate three times as many new suppliers in the same amount of time using Functions.
Azure Functions documentation, sample code, and resources
Five-minute quickstartsBuild your first function on Windows or Linux using:
Find inspiration and explore detailed Functions concepts in the documentation.Build and monitor event-driven applications with the Azure Serverless Computing Cookbook
Build these solutions with Functions
Serverless web application for static websites and single-page applications
Serverless microservices for event-driven scenarios
Machine learning workflows with a serverless architecture
Azure Functions updates, blogs, and announcements
Frequently asked questions about Azure Functions
Functions apps on Consumption plans and App Service plans will run or be available 99.95 percent of the time.See the full SLA for Functions
Functions can run in different modes: Consumption plan, Azure App Service plan, and Premium plan.Compare hosting and scaling on different plans
Avoid hard-coding access to other services like Azure Blog storage and Azure Cosmos DB using triggers and bindings. Triggers are what cause a function to run, and bindings are declarations that connect the function to another resource.See all triggers and bindings Functions supports
Create and test functions on your local machine using favorite code editor and development tools. Connect local functions to live Azure services and debug them on your local computer using the full Functions runtime. The requirements for developing functions on your local computer depend on the programming languages and tools you prefer.See local development environments