6 min read
Technology is advancing at an unprecedented pace, and businesses are seeking innovative ways to maintain a competitive edge. Nowhere is this truer than in the realms of generative AI. From generating realistic images and videos to enhancing customer experiences, generative AI has proven to be a versatile tool across various industries. In this article, we explore 10 ways businesses are utilizing this game-changing technology to transform their operations and drive growth.
- Content creation and design: Effective content creation and design are crucial for attracting and engaging customers.
Generative AI enables businesses to create visually appealing and impactful content quickly and efficiently, helping them stand out in a crowded marketplace. Generative AI has revolutionized content creation by generating high-quality images, videos, and graphics. From designing logos and product visuals to creating engaging social media content, businesses are using generative AI algorithms to automate the creative process—saving time and resources.
The company Typeface ingests information about the brand, including style guidelines, images, and product details. Then, with just a few clicks, customers can generate an assortment of suggested images and text—pre-defined in templates for different use cases—that employees can select and customize for use in an online campaign, marketing email, blog post, or anywhere the company wants to use it.
- Accelerated automation: Automating IT tasks improves employee experiences, enhances customer interactions, and drives more efficiency within a company’s developer community.
Providing employees with reliable automated support leads to increased efficiency, improved work life, and reduced operational costs.
AT&T is using Azure OpenAI Service to enable IT professionals to request resources like additional virtual machines; migrate legacy code into modern code; and empower employees to complete common human resources tasks, such as changing withholdings, adding a dependent to an insurance plan, or requisitioning a computer for a new hire.
- Personalized marketing: Personalization increases the chances of customer engagement and conversion and can significantly improve marketing ROI.
Generative AI enables businesses to deliver hyper-personalized marketing campaigns. By analyzing customer data, generative algorithms can create dynamic content tailored to an individual’s preferences—optimizing engagement and conversion rates.
Through the Take Blip platform and Azure OpenAI Service, brands can have one-on-one conversations that include an infinite flow of interactions with each customer. Interactions are digitized: customers’ requests, intentions, and desires can be recorded and used to tune the platform, making future interactions much more productive.
- Chatbots and virtual assistants: Chatbots and virtual assistants powered by generative AI provide instant and accurate responses to customer queries.
These intelligent systems can understand and respond to customer queries, provide recommendations, and offer personalized support—enhancing customer service, reducing wait times, improving operational efficiency, and boosting customer satisfaction and loyalty.
By using a common chatbot framework along with the Azure Bot Services, Johnson & Johnson employees without technical training can now build their own bots to serve their teams and customers at a fraction of the time and cost it took to develop previous chatbot projects.
- Product and service innovation: Staying innovative and meeting evolving customer demands is essential for business success.
Local reporters used to be specialists—they focused their time on investigation and writing. Today, they need to be generalists who can create both written and video content and who knows how to maximize viewership on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, and potentially many other distribution channels.”
Nota has used Microsoft Azure OpenAI Service to build two AI-assisted tools—SUM and VID. These tools do a lot of the heavy lifting needed to optimize stories for distribution and turn written pieces into engaging videos that can produce up to 10 times as much revenue as written pieces.
- Language translation and natural language processing: In a globalized world, language barriers can hinder communication and business growth.
Generative AI has improved language translation and natural language processing capabilities. Businesses can use generative models to accurately translate content in real time, enabling seamless communication across borders and bridging language barriers.
Microsoft Azure AI services augment HelloTalk’s AI learning tools and technical capabilities, allowing users to connect with the world through language and culture exchange.
- Fraud detection and cybersecurity: Businesses face constant threats from fraudsters and cyberattacks.
By analyzing patterns and anomalies in large datasets, businesses can leverage generative models to detect and prevent fraud, safeguard sensitive information, and protect their digital assets.
Using federated learning techniques along with Azure Machine Learning and Azure confidential computing, Swift and Microsoft are building an anomaly detection model for transactional data—all without copying or moving data from secure locations.
- Predictive analytics and forecasting: Accurate predictions and forecasting are vital for effective decision-making and operational efficiency.
Generative AI models excel in predictive analytics and forecasting. By analyzing historical data and identifying patterns, businesses can leverage generative algorithms to make accurate predictions and informed decisions, optimizing supply chain management, inventory forecasting, and demand planning.
Azure IoT helps Husky meet their system performance needs and maintain service levels for their customers. It scales quickly as they onboard new Advantage+Elite customers and reduces the time and resources spent on infrastructure maintenance.
- Creative writing and content generation: Content generation can be time-consuming and resource-intensive. Generative AI algorithms automate the content creation process, allowing businesses to generate articles, blog posts, and other written materials quickly. This technology assists content creators and ensures a consistent flow of fresh and engaging content for audiences.
Generative AI algorithms automate the content creation process, allowing businesses to generate articles, blog posts, and other written materials quickly. This technology assists content creators and ensures a consistent flow of fresh and engaging content for audiences. Businesses and content creators can use these models to generate articles, blog posts, advertising copy, and more—saving time for content creators and providing fresh content to engage audiences.
With Azure OpenAI Service, CarMax is creating content for its website much more efficiently, freeing up its editorial staff to focus on producing strategic, longer-form pieces that require more insight. Letting Azure OpenAI Service take care of data-heavy summarization tasks gives them time to be more creative and feel more fulfilled.
- Medical research and diagnosis: The healthcare industry can benefit from quickly diagnosing diseases—potentially leading to faster and more accurate diagnoses—improving patient outcomes.
Researchers can utilize generative models to analyze medical images, detect abnormalities, and aid in the development of new treatments. Additionally, generative AI algorithms can assist in diagnosing diseases by analyzing patient symptoms and medical records, potentially leading to more accurate and timely diagnoses.
At Cambridgeshire and Peterborough NHS Foundation Trust, a single patient’s case notes could have up to 2,000 documents. In the past, if you needed information that was stored 1,600 documents ago, you weren’t going to find it. Now, using Azure Cognitive Search it takes as little as three seconds to search for a keyword across those 2,000 documents to find it.
Each of the 10 ways mentioned above addresses significant challenges and opportunities facing businesses today. Azure OpenAI Service empowers businesses to streamline processes, enhance customer experiences, drive innovation, and make data-driven decisions—resulting in improved efficiency, profitability, and competitiveness. In the case of generative AI, what’s good for business is also good for its customers. By leveraging the power of machine learning and generative algorithms, businesses can improve customer experiences while also gaining a competitive advantage in today’s rapidly evolving digital landscape.
Our commitment to responsible AI
Microsoft has a layered approach for generative models, guided by Microsoft’s responsible AI principles. In Azure OpenAI Service, an integrated safety system provides protection from undesirable inputs and outputs and monitors for misuse. In addition, Microsoft provides guidance and best practices for customers to responsibly build applications using these models and expects customers to comply with the Azure OpenAI code of conduct. With GPT-4, new research advances from OpenAI have enabled an additional layer of protection. Guided by human feedback, safety is built directly into the GPT-4 model, which enables the model to be more effective at handling harmful inputs, thereby reducing the likelihood that the model will generate a harmful response.
Get started with Azure OpenAI Service
- Apply for access to Azure OpenAI Service by completing this form.
- Learn about Azure OpenAI Service and the latest enhancements.
- Get started with GPT-4 in Azure OpenAI Service in Microsoft Learn.
- Read our Partner announcement blog, Empowering partners to develop AI-powered apps and experiences with ChatGPT in Azure OpenAI Service.
- Learn how to use the new Chat Completions API (preview) and model versions for ChatGPT and GPT-4 models in Azure OpenAI Service.