Public preview: Integration of Azure Monitor Agent with Connection Monitor
Published date: October 12, 2022
Connection Monitor, a multi-agent monitoring solution, monitors connectivity across Azure and Hybrid environments and measures aggregated packet loss, latency, and jitter. Connection Monitor provides actionable insights to diagnose and troubleshoot network issues and provides end to end path visibility with unified topology.
With Azure Monitor Agent, we aim to consolidate multi-monitoring agents into a single agent. This capability addresses connectivity monitoring logs and metrics data collection needs across Azure and ARC enabled on-premises machines, eliminating the overhead of management and enablement of multiple monitoring agents. Additionally, Azure Monitor Agent provides enhanced security and performance capabilities, effective cost savings, and ease of troubleshooting with simpler management of data collection. With this support, the dependency on the retiring Log Analytics agent is eliminated, while increasing the coverage for on-premises machines with support for ARC enable endpoints.
The notable features of this new update are:
- Connectivity monitoring support for ARC enabled on-premises endpoints
- Simpler enablement of monitoring extension
- One agent for monitoring Azure and non-Azure endpoints
- Enhanced security through Managed Identity and Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) tokens
The roadmap for the feature includes:
- Portal support for auto-enablement of Azure Monitor Agent extension
- Integrated support for enablement of Network Watcher extension with Azure Monitor Agent
- Extended support to ARC enabled on-premises machines as destinations
- Extended support across Azure resources beyond VM and virtual machine scale set
- Enhanced performance metrics with Throughput and Jitter UI support