Application Gateway V1 will be retired on 28 April 2026– Transition to Application Gateway V2
Published date: April 28, 2023
Because Application Gateway V1 retires on 28 April 2026, please transition to Application Gateway V2 by that date.
We encourage you to make the switch earlier to gain the benefits of Application Gateway V2. Alongside the Application Gateway V1 features you already use, Application Gateway V2 provides:
- Additional features - Autoscaling, zone redundancy, URL rewrite, mutual authentication mTLS , Azure Kubernetes Service Ingress Controller, Keyvault integration
- Increased performance – 5x Better TLS offload performance compared to V1
- Enhanced security – Faster update of security rules, WAF custom rules and policy associations, bot protection
What happens during and after the retirement announcement?
- No new subscriptions for V1 deployments: July 1,2023 onwards - Application Gateway V1 is no longer available for deployment on subscriptions with out V1 gateways from July 1 2023 onwards.
- No new V1 deployments: August 28, 2024 - V1 creation is stopped completely for all customers from 28 August 2024 onwards.
- SKU retirement: April 28, 2026 - Any Application Gateway V1 that are in Running status will be stopped. Application Gateway V1s that is not migrated to Application Gateway V2 are informed regarding timelines for deleting them and then force deleted.
Help and support
If you have questions, get answers from community experts in Microsoft Q&A or write to us at email@example.com. If you have a support question and you need technical help, please create a support request.