2 min read
This blog was co-authored by Gopikrishna Kannan, Principal Program Manager, Azure Networking.
Organizations are experiencing an increase in both the volume and sophistication of cyberattacks with the acceleration of digital transformation and the increase in hybrid work. While organizations of all sizes face similar security risks, cybersecurity is rapidly becoming a top concern for small and medium businesses (SMBs) with the shift to remote work and new digital business models. SMBs are particularly vulnerable as they are faced with budget constraints and gaps in specialized security skills. In a recent research study, over 60 percent of small businesses experienced a cyberattack and were left unable to operate.
Microsoft is constantly innovating to help secure customers’ digital assets in an evolving threatened landscape and help SMB customers with their cloud adoption journey. Today, we are excited to announce the preview of Azure Firewall Basic.
Azure Firewall Basic is a new SKU of Azure Firewall designed to meet the needs of SMBs by providing enterprise-grade protection of their cloud environment at an affordable price point. It is a cloud-native, highly available, stateful firewall as a service offering that enables customers to centrally govern and log all of their traffic flows with essential capabilities at scale.
Cost-effective, enterprise-grade security built for SMBs
Azure Firewall Basic includes Layer 3–Layer 7 filtering and alerts on malicious traffic with built-in threat intelligence from Microsoft Threat Intelligence. With tight integration with other Azure services, such as Azure Monitor, Azure Events Hub, Microsoft Sentinel, and Microsoft Defender for Cloud, you can gain more visibility into your environment and identify and respond to threats quicker.
Key features of Azure Firewall Basic
Comprehensive, cloud-native network firewall security.
- Network and application traffic filtering.
- Threat intelligence to alert on malicious traffic.
- Built-in high availability.
- Seamless integration with other Azure services.
Simple setup and easy to use.
- Set up in just a few minutes.
- Automate deployment (deploy as code).
- Zero maintenance with automatic updates.
- Central management via Azure Firewall Manager.
- Designed to deliver essential, cost-effective Firewall protection for your resources within your virtual network.
Choosing the right Azure Firewall SKU to meet your needs
Azure Firewall now supports three different SKUs to cater to a wide range of customer use cases and preferences.
- Azure Firewall Premium is recommended to secure highly sensitive applications (such as payment processing). It supports advanced threat protection capabilities like malware and TLS inspection.
- Azure Firewall Standard is recommended for customers looking for Layer 3–Layer 7 firewall and needs auto-scaling to handle peak traffic periods of up to 30 Gbps. It supports enterprise features like threat intelligence, DNS proxy, custom DNS, and web categories.
- Azure Firewall Basic is recommended for SMB customers with throughput needs of less than 250 Mbps.
Let’s take a closer look at the features across the three Azure Firewall SKUs.
Azure Firewall Basic pricing
Similar to the Standard and Premium SKUs, Azure Firewall Basic pricing includes both deployment and data processing charges.
For more details, visit the Azure Firewall pricing page.
For more information on everything we covered in this blog post, see the following: