Accelerate and simplify serverless application development
Azure Functions is an event-driven, serverless compute platform that helps you develop more efficiently using the programming language of your choice. Focus on core business logic with the highest level of hardware abstraction. Simplify complex orchestration challenges, build and debug locally, deploy at scale in the cloud, and connect functions to Azure services using triggers and bindings.
Integrated programming model with a variety of programming languages
Built-in serverless elasticity to build secure, reliable apps at scale
Flexible hosting options with a pay-per-use model for improved operational efficiency
Built-in Azure DevOps tools for an end-to-end development experience
Develop your way
- Choose from popular programming languages you already know.
- With the integrated programming model, respond to events and seamlessly connect to other Azure services with a rich set of triggers and bindings.
- Use the optimized inner loop for local development and testing.
Use event-driven architecture with open-source components
- Build your app with a wide variety of data and event sources.
- Simplify complex orchestration challenges with the Durable Functions extension and write stateful workflows in a serverless compute environment.
- Integrate multiple app types in a microservices design.
- Safeguard your app with Azure Key Vault, network isolation, and built-in secure triggers and bindings.
- Enforce regulatory compliance controls using Azure Policy with built-in guardrails and cloud security benchmarks.
Get built-in application lifecycle management
- Get a complete serverless application development experience—from building and debugging locally to deploying and monitoring in the cloud.
- Deploy, monitor, and govern your applications with Azure DevOps, GitHub Actions, and more Azure services.
- Build extensible deployment pipelines for your needs.
Comprehensive security and compliance, built in
Microsoft invests more than $1 billion annually on cybersecurity research and development.
We employ more than 3,500 security experts who are dedicated to data security and privacy.
Choose the hosting plan that fits your business needs
Scale automatically and pay only for compute resources when your functions are running.
Scale on demand, use pre-warmed workers to run applications with no delay after idle, run on more powerful instances, and connect to virtual networks.
Azure App Service plan
Run Functions at regular App Service plan rates for long-running operations, and when more predictive scaling and costs are required.
Azure Container Apps (preview)
Use Functions with Container Apps plans for multitype microservices architecture, consistent network, observability, and billing configurations.
Get started with an Azure free account
After your credit, move to pay as you go to keep building with the same free services. Pay only if you use more than your free monthly amounts.
See what customers are doing with Azure Functions
Azure Functions documentation, sample code, and resources
Build these solutions with Functions
Frequently asked questions about Azure Functions
Avoid hard-coding access to other services like Azure Blog storage and Azure Cosmos DB using triggers and bindings. Triggers are what cause a function to run, and bindings are declarations that connect the function to another resource.
Create and test functions on your local machine using your favorite code editor and development tools. Connect local functions to live Azure services and debug them on your local computer using the full Functions runtime. The requirements for developing functions on your local computer depend on the programming languages and tools you prefer.
Running Functions on Container Apps (preview) is a good fit for multitype microservices architecture in a centralized environment. This gives you consistent network, observability, and billing configurations.