Optimise your Azure costs
Manage your cloud spending and focus on what matters most to your business
Explore tools and resources to help you save
Find out about the tools, offers and guidance designed to help you manage and optimise your Azure costs. Learn how to understand and forecast your bill, optimise workload costs and control your spending.
Understand and forecast your costs
- Monitor and analyse your Azure bill with Azure Cost Management and Billing. Set budgets and allocate spending to your teams and projects.
- Estimate the costs for your next Azure projects using the Azure pricing calculator and the Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) calculator.
- Successfully build your cloud business case with key financial and technical guidance from Azure.
Cost optimise your workloads
- Follow your Azure Advisor best practice recommendations for cost savings.
- Review your workload architecture for cost optimisation using the Microsoft Azure Well-architected Review assessment and the Microsoft Azure Well-architected Framework design documentation.
- Save with Azure offers and licensing terms such as the Azure Hybrid Benefit, paying in advance for predictable workloads with reservations, Azure Spot Virtual Machines and Azure dev/test pricing.
Seven ways to optimise costs today
Identify idle virtual machines (VMs), ExpressRoute circuits and other resources with Azure Advisor. Get recommendations on which resources to shut down, and see how much you would save.
Find underutilised resources with Azure Advisor – and get recommendations on how to reduce your spend by reconfiguring or consolidating them.
Get a discount of up to 72 per cent over pay-as-you-go pricing on Azure services when you pre-pay for a one- or three-year term with reservation pricing.
AWS is five times more expensive than Azure for Windows and SQL Server. Save big when you migrate your on-premises workloads to Azure.
Save by dynamically allocating and de-allocating resources to match your performance needs.
Create and manage budgets for the Azure services you use or subscribe to – and monitor your organisation’s cloud spending – with Azure Cost Management.
Azure offers many ways to host your code. Operate more cost efficiently by selecting the right compute service for your application.
Learn more about these seven highly effective ways to optimise your Azure costs
Take a look at this infographic that shows how to take advantage of the free tools included with your Azure subscription. Find special licensing offers and other ways to assess and adjust your Azure workloads for optimal cost efficiency.
See how customers are optimising their Azure costs
Maersk delivers cost optimisation across its organisation
Global logistics leader Maersk gained significant benefits, such as enterprise-wide awareness and better cost management processes, through its ongoing digital transformation by making cloud cost optimisation a core practice.
ASOS weaves cost optimisation into fashion innovation
Kristina Moln-Page, Head of Finance, ASOS
"We spend a lot of money in the cloud, so it's one of those things that has a huge impact. Our cloud cost optimization has already saved us 25 to 40 percent."
H&R Block optimises cloud costs with Azure
H&R Block partnered with Microsoft to increase the cost efficiency of its cloud deployments. Using Azure cost-optimisation services and best practices, the tax preparation giant continuously optimises its cloud spend and keeps monthly costs under control year-over-year.
Cost optimisation training
Learn how to save money on Azure in this free, 51-minute Microsoft Learn module, Microsoft Azure Well-Architected Framework – Cost Optimisation. You’ll learn how to:
- Gain visibility and draw cost insights using monitoring and analytics.
- Maximise the efficiency of your cloud environment.
- Provision resources that are optimised for cost.
Additional cost optimisation resources
Get help with managing your costs from expert partners
Find help with cost management from an Azure partner with verified capabilities – and move forward confidently, knowing that your partner is committed to your success. Depending on your needs, there are two expert partner options to choose from:
Azure advanced specialisation partners provide deep expertise in specific scenarios – such as infrastructure migration, app modernisation, cloud-native app development or managing specialised workloads on Azure.
Azure expert managed service providers are generalists, offering validated expertise in managing and optimising Azure environments, following industry and Microsoft best practices.