Data Lake Store pricing

A no-limits data lake to power intelligent action

Unlock maximum value from all of your unstructured, semi-structured and structured data using the first cloud data lake built for enterprises with no limits on the size of data. Azure Data Lake Store is secured, massively scalable and built to the open HDFS standard, allowing you to run massively-parallel analytics.

Pricing details

The total cost of Azure Data Lake Store depends on how much you store, the volume and size of transactions as well as outbound data transfers.

Storage Prices

Storage is available in Pay-as-you-Go and monthly commitment packages.

Pay-as-You-Go

Usage Price /Month
First 100 TB $- per GB
Next 100 TB to 1,000 TB $- per GB
Next 1,000 TB to 5,000 TB $- per GB
Over 5,000 TB Contact Us

Monthly commitment packages

Monthly commitment packages provide you with a significant discount (up to 33%) compared to Pay-as-You-Go pricing.

Committed Capacity Price /Month Savings over pay-as-you-go
1 TB $- 12%
10 TB $- 19%
100 TB $- 27%
500 TB $- 31%
1,000 TB $- 33%
Over 1,000 TB Contact Us

Overage after the included storage amount will be billed at $-/GB/month.

Transaction Prices

The following prices apply to transactions performed against your data. The same transaction rates apply for both Pay-as-You-Go as well as Monthly Commitment Packages.

Usage Price
Write operations (per 10,000) $-
Read operations (per 10,000) $-
Delete operations Free
Transaction size limit No limit

Support & SLA

  • Free billing and subscription management support.
  • Flexible support plans starting at $29/month. Shop for a plan
  • Guaranteed 99.9% or greater availability (excludes preview services). Read the SLA

FAQ

  • Every operation to Azure Data Lake Store is billed as a single transaction. This includes HTTP operations and operations made by Azure Data Lake Analytics jobs.

  • Azure Data Lake Store transactions are incurred any time you read and write data to the service. Every time a user, an application or another Azure service reads or writes data up to 4 MB in size, it is billed as one transaction. For example, if one write operation puts 128 KB of data into ADLS, it is billed as one transaction. If the item is larger than 4 MB, transactions are billed in increments of up to 4 MB. For example, if one read operation gets 9 MB of data from ADLS, it is billed as three transactions (4 MB + 4 MB + 1 MB).

    Let us see how transactions shows-up on your bill based on read and write operations. For this, assume a scenario where your application writes data into ADLS at a rate of 10 items / second, each item being 8 MB. Additionally, let us say you are ingesting data using Azure IoT Hub into ADLS at a rate of 5 items / second, each item being less than 4 MB. Let us also assume that you have an ADLA job that runs for 4 hours / day, while reading 1,000 items / second when the job is running each item being less than 4 MB. In the above scenario, ADLS will charge for write transactions for your application and Azure IoT Hub writing data and read transactions for ADLA reading data from ADLS. You will be charged the following:

    Item Usage volume per Month Rate per Month Monthly Cost
    Write transactions from customer application 2 * (10 items/second * 3,600 * 744) $0.05 per 10,000 transactions $267.8
    Write transactions from Azure IoT Hub 5 items/second * 3,600 * 744 $0.05 per 10,000 transactions $66.95
    Read transactions from ADLA 1,000 items/second * 3600 * 4 * 31 $0.004 per 10,000 transactions $178.56
    Total Transactions Cost $513.31

    The read and write operations generated from all applications and services, including Azure Data Lake Analytics, depend on a large variety of factors. There is no easy way to accurately predict the number of operations generated by every application. To estimate your transaction costs, you should run a representative workload for a controlled duration and observe the number of reads and writes and the resulting transactions that are billed.

  • Yes. Storage capacity is billed in units of the average daily amount of data stored, in gigabytes (GB), over a monthly period. For example, if you consistently utilized 10 GB of storage for the first half of the month and none for the second half of the month, you would be billed for your average usage of 5 GB of storage.

  • Example: You store 120TB of data for the whole month in Azure Data Lake Store. During this month, you perform 100M operations on this data. Let say that 20% of these operations are Write operations and the other 80% are Read operations. This is how your total cost will be calculated with Pay-as-You-Go:

    Unit of measure Usage volume Price Monthly cost
    GB per month 120 * 1,024= 122,800 $0.039 for the first 100 TB, $0.038 for the next 20 TB 100 * 1,024 * $0.039 + 20 * 1,024 * $0.038 = $4771.84
    Write Operations 20% * 100M = 20M $0.05 per 10,000 transactions 2,000 * $0.05 = $100
    Read Operations 80% * 100M = 80M $0.004 per 10,000 transactions 8,000 * $0.004 = $32
    Total $4903.84
  • Billing for monthly commitment packages works in the following ways:

    • A billing cycle is aligned to calendar month. Therefore, it always starts on the 1st day of the month and ends on the last day of the month.
    • When you commit for the first time to a package, we will pro-rate the monthly price to the days left within that month. As an example if you commit to the 100 TB package and there are 10 days left within that month, you will immediately get 100 TB at a price of $935.484 ($2900 / 31 days in a month * 10 days left). We pro-rate the price by 31 days to make sure that the pro-rata is always in your favour.
    • You can choose a new package at anytime during a month. The change will be effective the first day of the next calendar month. For example, if during a month you have a package of 10TB and decide to commit to a 100TB package, this change will apply on the 1st day of the next calendar month. For the current calendar month, you will remain on the 10TB package.
    • When your storage consumption goes over the limit of your package, you will be charged for overage consumption at a rate of $0.039/GB per month pro-rated daily. As an example, if you go over the limit of your package by 100GB for 10 days, you will be billed: 100 * $0.039 /31 * 10 = $1.259
    • The monthly commitment package is applied to an Azure Data Lake Store account. Currently we do not allow applying multiple monthly commitment package purchases per account. For example, if you need to store 200TB of data, you cannot purchase two 100TB monthly commitment packages for the same account. The best option would be to purchase a 100TB month commitment package and pay overage for the other 100TB.
  • Example: You start a month with a 100TB package and store 100TB for the first 15 days and then subsequently store 120TB for the next 16 days in your ADLS account. During this month, you perform 100M operations on this data. Let say that 20% of these operations are Write operations and the other 80% are Read operations. This is how your total cost will be calculated with a Monthly Commitment package:

    Unit of measure Usage volume Price Monthly cost
    100 TB Package n/a $2900 $2900
    Overage in GB 20 * 1,024 = 20,480 GB $0.039 /month pro-rated daily 20,480 * $0.039 * 16 / 31 = $412.243
    Write Operations 20% * 100M = 20M $0.05 per 10,000 transactions 2,000 * $0.05 = $100
    Read Operations 80% * 100M = 80M $0.004 per 10,000 transactions 8,000 * $0.004 = $32
    Total $3444.243
  • Yes. Metadata for files and folders is accumulated in the storage capacity for billing. Azure Data Lake Store has a minimum billable file or folder size of 256KB. Smaller files may be stored but the amount of data billed will be the larger of (a) total data stored in the account (b) 256 KB * (Number of files and folders).

    The following table illustrates some examples on how this is calculated.

    Amount of data stored in the account Number of Files and Folders in the account Metadata Storage Size Data Stored (For Billing Calculation)
    A B C = 256 KB * B MAX (A, C)
    100 Bytes 1 256 KB 256 KB
    300 KB 2 512 KB 512 KB
    100 MB 10 2,560 KB 100 MB
    1 GB 100 25,600 KB 1 GB

    As illustrated by the examples above, we recommend storing data in larger files to save costs for storing metadata.

Resources

Estimate your monthly costs for Azure services

Review Azure pricing frequently asked questions

Learn more about Data Lake Store

Review technical tutorials, videos, and more resources

Learn and build with $200 in credit and keep going for free

Free account