Immersive Reader Preview
An AI service that helps users read and comprehend text
Try Cognitive Services for free
Sign in to continue
You’re almost ready to start building with your seven-day free evaluation.
Sign in with your preferred account to get started
Empower users to unlock knowledge from text
Immersive Reader is an Azure Cognitive Service for developers who want to embed inclusive capabilities into their apps for enhancing text reading and comprehension for users regardless of age or ability. No machine-learning expertise required. Immersive Reader includes features that read the text aloud, translate, focus user attention by design and much more, helping users achieve gains in the classroom and office. Azure is the only major cloud service provider to offer this type of literacy-enhancing service.
Create an inclusive reading experience for users of all ages and abilities
Support users around the world with translation available in over 60 languages
Quickly embed Immersive Reader with an API call
Offer the latest in literacy-enhancing technology that’s continuously optimised, drawing from inclusive research.
Empower users of all ages and abilities
Boost user reading and comprehension with a full set of proven literacy-enhancing features offered by Immersive Reader. Users can unlock knowledge from text by: hearing it read aloud, translating it to their desired language, highlighting a specific line of text for focus, seeing visuals illustrating the meaning of a chosen word for multi-sensory learning and much more.
Speed to market
Harness an efficient way to boost user literacy. No need to build this type of experience from scratch. All it takes is a single API call to deliver Immersive Reader to your users.
Over 15 million users already rely on Microsoft’s immersive reading technology in Word, OneNote, Outlook, Teams and more. Extensive research conducted by experts in the field of education shows that Immersive Reader improves reading comprehension, supports important learning processes and “levels the playing field” for users of all abilities reading text.
Now you can deliver this literacy-enhancing experience to your users, too.Read the research
Why trust Immersive Reader for your content?
Microsoft invests over USD 1 billion annually on cyber security research and development.
We employ more than 3,500 security experts who are completely focused on securing your data and privacy.
Azure has more certifications than any other cloud provider. View the comprehensive list.
Immersive Reader preview is free
- Immersive Reader PREVIEW is offered for free as a limited-time promotion. The price is subject to change when the service becomes generally available.
Get started with Immersive Reader in three steps
Developer resources at your fingertips
Quick tutorial videos
Immersive Reader’s engineering team walk you through how to integrate the SDKWatch the videos
Immersive Reader SDK
Immersive Reader documentation
Do a deeper dive into Immersive Reader by exploring the documentation.Explore the documentation
Frequently asked questions about Immersive Reader
Immersive Reader is available in the following regions:
- (US) East US
- (US) West US
- (Asia Pacific) Australia East
- (Asia Pacific) Central India
- (Asia Pacific) Japan East
- (Europe) North Europe
- (Europe) West Europe
RTI International, a third-party research company, conducted an effectiveness study in 2017 across various groups of students. Amongst other benefits, reading comprehension in 9-10 year olds improved by an average of 10%. Read the research here to learn more.
Immersive Reader can translate text into over 60 languages.
Below are the key features currently included in the Immersive Reader experience:
- Focus mode: Sustains attention and improves reading speed
- Immersive reading: Improves comprehension and sustains attention
- Read Aloud: Supports hearing the word and seeing the word and line highlighted simultaneously
- Font spacing and short lines: Improve reading speed by addressing “visual crowding”
- Parts of speech: Supports instruction and improves writing quality
- Syllabification: Improves word recognition
- Picture Dictionary: Supports seeing a visual representation of the word and the ability to hear it read out loud at the same time
- Line Focus: Supports focusing on 1, 3 or 5 lines while reading. Similar to a “reading ruler”
- Translation: Supports non-native speakers by translating words or entire documents. Translation supported in over 60 languages, and everything in the Immersive Reader changes on full document translation – read aloud, syllables, parts of speech and picture dictionary
Immersive Reader supports people of all abilities, including readers with dyslexia, ADHD, autism, cerebral palsy, emerging readers and non-native speakers.