Cross Region Restore (CRR) for SQL/SAP HANA using Azure Backup
Published date: 22 September, 2020
In continuation with the preview of Cross Region Restore (CRR) for Azure VMs to strengthen our resiliency pillar, we are announcing the support of Cross Region Restore for SQL/SAP HANA using Azure Backup. Azure customers leverage SAP HANA and Microsoft SQL server on Azure VMs to build their infrastructure in cloud. Azure Backup supports a native solution to backup SAP HANA/Microsoft SQL server workloads to a Recovery Services Vault. The backup data in the primary region can also be geo replicated to an Azure-paired secondary region for durability. Previously, data that was replicated to secondary region was only available to restore in a secondary region if Azure declared a disaster in primary region. With the introduction of this new support, customers can trigger restore of SQL and HANA databases in the secondary region at any time, much like Azure VM backup. This capability can be leveraged in the following scenarios:
- When the primary region is available to test data backed up in secondary region for audit/compliance purposes.
- When the primary region is unavailable, customers can trigger restore of backed-up data in the secondary region even if the Azure primary region is partially unavailable or completely unavailable without any wait time.
Key features available with the preview include:
- Self-service recoveries of backed-up data in both primary and secondary regions.
- Enables the ability to test backup data in secondary region for audit/compliance purposes at any time and guarantees high durability of backup data if the Azure primary region become unavailable.
- Customer experience and restore performance in the secondary region is the same as the primary region.