Announcing Azure Backup support to move Recovery Services vaults across subscriptions and resource groups
Published date: 16 April, 2019
A Recovery Services vault is an Azure Resource Manager resource to manage your backup and disaster recovery needs natively in the cloud. Today, we are pleased to announce the GA support for move functionality for recovery services vaults, where you can migrate a vault between subscriptions and resource groups with a few steps, in minimal downtime and without any data loss of old backups. You can move a vault and retain recovery points of protected VMs to restore to at any time.
- Flexibility to move across subscriptions and resource groups: You can move the vault across resource groups and subscriptions. This is very helpful in scenarios such as expiry of an old subscription, moving from EA- to CSP-type subscription, organisational and departmental changes or separation between QA environment and production environment.
- No impact on old restore points and settings in the vault: Post migration, all the settings, backup policies and configurations in the vault are retained, including all backup and recovery points created in the past inside the vault.
- Restore support, independent of the VM in the old subscription: You can restore from retained backup history in the vault, regardless of whether the VM has been moved with the vault to the target subscription or not.
For step-by-step guidance on moving your Recovery Services vault, refer to the Recovery Services vault move documentation.
Related links and additional content
- Learn more about Azure Backup.
- Want more details? Take a look at Azure Backup documentation.
- Need help? Contact Azure Backup forum for support.
- Tell us how we can improve Azure Backup by contributing new ideas and voting up existing ones.
- Follow us on Twitter @AzureBackup for the latest news and updates.