Azure Virtual Desktop – New customer offer
New customers save 30 per cent on Azure Virtual Desktop computing costs for D-series and Bs-series virtual machines for up to 90 days when using the native Microsoft solution. Redeem the offer directly in the Azure portal before 31 December 2021.
Microsoft is offering a 30 per cent discount to new customers for 90 days from the date of redemption on all D-series and Bs-series Windows virtual machines (VMs) used as part of a Azure Virtual Desktop host pool. If eligible, you may activate this offer by 31 December 2021. After you redeem this 90-day offer, unless prohibited by applicable law or otherwise specified in writing, all VMs will be charged the standard Azure rates unless you delete or deallocate them.
How to activate your offer
- Create your Azure free account.
- One you’ve created your free account, click on the Activate your subscription tab. Or, go directly to the Azure portal.
- If you’re eligible, you’ll see a banner at the top of the Azure portal with this text: “You are eligible for a new Azure Virtual Desktop promotional offer.” Click on the banner to redeem the offer – the 30-per cent discount will automatically be reflected on your monthly Azure bill.
The following additional terms and restrictions apply to the new customer offer:
- New customers are eligible to save up to 30 per cent of Azure Virtual Desktop computing costs in D-series and Bs-series VMs for up to 90 days when using the Microsoft native solution and redeemed before 31 December 2021. There may be regional variation or differences in the discount based on choice of partner or reseller redeeming the offer on your behalf.
- The offer is only available to new customers that begin using Azure Virtual Desktop for the first time during the Azure Virtual Desktop promotion offer period with an Azure subscription.
- This offer is not available to any customers located in China or in connection with deployments with Microsoft Azure Government services, regardless of location. Government customers include all levels of government – national, federal, state, local etc. – and may include educational institutions and hospitals. This offer is available to government customers deploying in Microsoft commercial Azure services.
- This offer is not available to customers using Azure Virtual Desktop with Citrix or VMware management services.
- Redemption of the offer is limited to one per organisation (as determined by billing scope). If your organisation has used Azure Virtual Desktop prior to the availability of the offer or has redeemed the offer via another subscription in the same billing scope, your organisation is not eligible for the offer. You will be charged standard rates for the use of Azure if we determine that you are not eligible for the offer.
- The offer is only valid on VMs registered with Azure Virtual Desktop as session hosts. You will be charged standard rates for any other use in a Azure Virtual Desktop environment.
- The offer applies solely to all Bs-series and D-series VMs. The offer does not apply to any other size VM.
- The offer applies to usage for the subscription on which you redeemed the offer.
- All other standard pricing and terms associated with VMs will continue to apply.
- The offer is non-transferable and may not be sold, assigned or otherwise transferred.
- If you violate any of these terms, the offer will be invalid.
- These terms apply to the maximum extent permitted by local law. If a court or arbitrator holds that Microsoft cannot enforce a part of these terms as written, those parts shall be deemed replaced with similar terms to the extent enforceable under the relevant law (or where a local court or arbitrator will not amend these terms, such part will be severed), but the rest of these terms will remain in effect.
- If you do not accept these terms, you may not redeem the offer.
- You may cancel at any time by (i) unregistering your VMs, in which case standard rates will continue to apply for your VMs, or (ii) deleting or deallocating your VMs, in which case you will not incur any additional charges for your VMs; however, you will still be obligated to pay Microsoft for any outstanding fees incurred prior to such time that you delete or deallocate your VMs.
- Partners redeeming this on behalf of customers will pass along these terms and conditions to the customers for whom they redeem this offer.
Azure Virtual Desktop offer frequently asked questions
You can activate the offer for your subscription directly in the Azure portal.
In the Azure portal, you will see a banner that shows the expiry date for the promotion for your activated subscription.
Yes, a partner can activate the promotion for a subscription that they have administration rights for.
No, this promotion is only eligible for Azure Virtual Desktop deployments that connect to the Azure Virtual Desktop management service in the Azure portal or through eligible APIs.
The offer is only available to new customers that begin using Azure Virtual Desktop for the first time during the Azure Virtual Desktop promotion offer period with an Azure subscription.
No, the offer is not eligible for non-paid subscriptions such as free trials or Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN).
The promotion can be activated by using the promotional offer banner on the Azure Virtual Desktop Overview page and selecting an eligible subscription for redemption.
The 30-per cent discount is applied to the usage of D-series and Bs-series VMs after you register with Azure Virtual Desktop service. Discounts will apply until the promotion expiry date for that subscription.
Subscriptions could be deemed ineligible for the following reasons:
- The Azure Virtual Desktop promotional offer may have been redeemed by another subscription in your organisation’s billing scope. Only one subscription can redeem the promotion per billing scope.
- Subscriptions in your organisation’s billing scope used Azure Virtual Desktop before the promotion launched.
- Your subscription has been newly created, which means that you would need to wait up to 12 hours before you can activate the promotion on the same subscription.
The offer banner will not appear if your organisation used Azure Virtual Desktop before the promotion launched or if your organisation redeemed the promotion for each of its billing scopes.
If the offer has already been redeemed in the billing scope that you have access to, the promotional offer banner on the Azure Virtual Desktop Overview page will contain information about the subscription it’s been redeemed on and its expiry date.
The offer banner is persistent on the Azure Virtual Desktop Overview page and you can access the promotion details there.
Yes, as long as the promotion period has not expired, you can receive the discount by either transferring your resources or recreating them in the subscription where you activated the promotion.
Yes, but the discount would go into effect when you activate the promotion and is valid for 90 days.
The promotion is only available on Bs-series and D-series VMs. You would need to redeploy session hosts on these VM SKUs to get the discount.
The offer banner on the Azure Virtual Desktop Overview page will contain information about when your promotion expires.
You can check your usage details data to verify that the discount is being applied. Each VM usage record will be split into two – accounting for 70 per cent and 30 per cent of the usage respectively. The record for 30 per cent of the usage will have a free meter (GUID: 657d812c-4f5a-5532-a4cc-791a81f56cec) on it. For example, if you use VM1 for 24 hours in one day, the usage will be split into two records as follows:
- Record one will be emitted for VM1 and will have a usage quantity of 16.8 hours in one day. You will be charged for this usage using the VM meter that’s applicable to this VM type.
- Record two will be emitted for VM1 with a usage quantity of 7.2 hours in one day. You will be charged for this usage using a free meter named Compute – WVD Promo (GUID: 657d812c-4f5a-5532-a4cc791a81f56cec).
The Additional info section in your free usage record will also indicate the original meter that was used.
The usage that you’re charged for is eligible for reservation discounts. So, in the scenario described in the previous answer, VM1 will only consume 16.8 hours from an available reservation in one day.
Yes, you will receive the Azure Virtual Desktop promotional discount on top of your existing discounts.
Learn how to enable a secure, remote desktop experience from anywhere on the Azure Virtual Desktop product page.