Linux on Azure
Run and manage applications your way with your preferred Linux distribution on Azure.
Get a seamless Linux experience for every workload
Azure offers several common Linux distributions, including Red Hat, SUSE, and Ubuntu by Canonical. Create your own Linux virtual machines (VMs), deploy and run containers in Kubernetes, or choose from hundreds of preconfigured images and Linux workloads in Azure Marketplace. Select Azure Linux as the container host operating system (OS) for your Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS) clusters. To run community-supported Linux distributions on Azure, simply upload your preferred Linux OS image.
- Avoid lengthy lead time for Linux environment preparation and migrate with less friction.
- Spend less time on administrative tasks using intuitive Linux open-source environment and application management tools.
- Get complete built-in support for Red Hat and SUSE.
- Streamline the creation of fully governed environments with Azure landing zones using Bicep.
- Build scalable applications with scale sets for Linux VMs. Create and manage a group of load-balanced VMs that can automatically increase or decrease in response to demand or a defined schedule.
- Detect weak spots across your cloud configuration, strengthen the overall security posture of your environment, and help protect workloads across multicloud and hybrid environments from evolving threats with Microsoft Defender for Cloud.
- Simplify security operations and speed up threat responses with Microsoft Sentinel, an AI-based security information and event management (SIEM) service.
- Prevent identity mismanagement across your Linux and Windows workloads with Azure role-based access control and Azure Active Directory (Azure AD).
- Balance compliance with business agility using governance tools like Azure Policy.
- Manage your cloud spend with transparency and accuracy through Microsoft Cost Management.
- Simplify data protection with Azure Backup, a centralized backup solution that scales based on your needs.
- Minimize downtime and help ensure business continuity during planned and unplanned outages with Azure Site Recovery.
- Get full observability into your applications, cloud infrastructure, and network with Azure Monitor.
- Manage your Linux services across cloud and on-premises environments using Azure Arc.
- Build a truly consistent hybrid cloud infrastructure by integrating your on-premises and cloud environments with Azure Stack and the Open Service Broker API.
- Apply containers to your hybrid Red Hat workloads with Azure Red Hat OpenShift.
- Experience high throughput and low latency for all endorsed Linux distributions with best-in-class InfiniBand networks.
- Bring your existing Red Hat and SUSE Linux subscription and licenses to Azure using Azure Hybrid Benefit for Linux VMs.
- Reduce costs up to 72 percent compared to pay-as-you-go pricing for Linux on Azure.1 Lower your upfront cash outflow with monthly payment options at no additional cost.
- Receive a discount on Azure services by purchasing reservations. Take advantage of one-year or three-year terms to support your budget goals.
- Get lower prices with an Azure savings plan by agreeing to spend a fixed hourly amount on compute services for one or three years.
Accelerate your innovation and digital transformation with Red Hat Linux solutions on Azure.
Take advantage of high-performance solutions that come with running SUSE Linux on Azure.
Training and documentation
Discover how to migrate and modernize Linux-based workloads with Azure for improved scalability, security, and privacy.
Get the latest Linux on Azure news and resources
Find the right Linux VMs for your needs and budget with the VM selector
Use the virtual machines selector tool to identify the best VM and disk storage combination based on the workload requirements and technical specifications you enter. Add the selected VMs to the pricing calculator for a comprehensive cost analysis.
Customers are innovating with Linux on Azure
See available Linux VM images
Browse all the published Linux distributions and workloads on Azure Marketplace.
Create a Linux virtual machine
Learn how to create a Linux virtual machine using the Azure portal.
Ready when you are
Let’s set up your Azure free account.
-  Savings calculations based on one M32ts Azure VM for Ubuntu Linux in the East US Azure region running for 36 months at a pay-as-you-go rate of ~USD$1,976.11/month; reduced rate for a 3-year reserved instance of ~USD$552.85/month. Azure pricing as of April 6, 2023 (prices subject to change). Actual savings may vary based on location, instance type, or usage.