Low-code application development on Azure
Build business applications faster with less code, and scale and extend those apps with Azure services.
Create production-ready apps with less code
Build line-of-business apps faster with less code, and at a lower cost, with Power Apps and Azure. Automate business processes with out-of-the-box connectors, built-in solutions for common use cases, and drag-and-drop simplicity. Use services such as Azure API Management and Azure Functions to scale and extend your apps and respond to changes quickly.
Read this 2021 commissioned study, conducted by Forrester Consulting, to explore the Total Economic Impact™ of Microsoft Power Platform and Azure for Corporate IT.
- Accelerate web and mobile front ends or automate workflows with the drag-and-drop visual designer—no developer environment setup required.
- Use prebuilt UX components and easily implement AI capabilities without machine learning knowledge.
- Easily store, standardise, and secure different types of data to build apps that work across data silos.
- Build once and deploy apps in one click across iOS, Android, Windows, and the web.
- According to a Forrester Consulting Total Economic Impact™ study commissioned by Microsoft, the average cost to develop an app is 74 percent less with Power Apps.
- Reduce the need for development and maintenance resources by taking advantage of features such as chatbots and geo-sensitive maps.
- Low-code solutions and automation tools make enterprise resource planning (ERP) system extensions more cost-effective.
- Use Microsoft Power Platform Build Tools to automate common tasks related to apps built on the platform.
- Use security services from Azure to help protect and control your applications running across Power Apps and Azure.
- Streamline application lifecycle management (ALM) using GitHub Actions via the Power Platform connector, built-in support for CI/CD, and interoperability with Azure Pipelines.
- Effortless integration and extensibility
- Build customised, rich functionalities that differentiate your app using Azure API Management.
- Extend apps with fully customised, reusable components using the built-in support for command-line interface (CLI) in Visual Studio Code.
- Hyperscale by default with low-latency access to data supported by Azure processing power.
- Use out-of-the-box connectors to 450 external data sources and legacy systems, including SAP, ServiceNow, Workday, and Salesforce.
Learn how to build line-of-business applications and automate business processes quickly and simply.
Accelerate front-end and business process development with a drag-and-drop visual designer.
Deploy portals that automate manual or paper-based processes and surface rich user experiences.
Modernise your legacy systems to support new processes and provide better user experiences.
Related products and services
Use a low-code platform to quickly build apps that seamlessly work with Azure services.
Enhance your apps and business processes with AI that is streamlined to build and configure in Power Apps.
Create and manage customised connectors and help secure your app data or service.
Build solutions more efficiently, operate at scale in the cloud, and interoperate services using triggers and bindings.
Connect your business-critical apps and services by automating your workflows without writing a single line of code.
Take advantage of SQL cloud databases that provide flexible options for app migration, modernisation, and development.
Incorporate single sign-on and multifactor authentication to manage and help secure your apps.
Seamlessly work with Azure API Management and GitHub to extend your web and mobile front ends.
Customers are doing great things with low-code application development
Jared Simmons, Systems Analyst, Coca-Cola Bottling Company UNITED
"Once I learned about the data connectors and how they would work with our SQL database and our ERP system, everything just fell into place. The Power Apps console is incredibly easy to work with."
Ryan Battles, Financial Services Banking & Capital Markets Principal, EY
"We were able to go from prototype to production in just 12 weeks. That would not have been possible without Microsoft Power Platform."
Tijn Tacke, Blackmores Group Dynamics platform lead, Blackmores
"Our team treats Power Apps and Azure as one platform that we use to build our solutions… Our ability to extend Microsoft Power Platform with Azure gives us the confidence to use it for complex projects."
Dan Foster, Director of Digital Technology, G&J Pepsi Cola Bottlers Inc.
"We're amazed at how quickly we can put things together with Microsoft Power Platform. And we're in control of our own destiny using a low-code solution to create professional, user-first apps."
Christopher Hitt, Assistant Manager – Field Technical Operations, Toyota Motor North America
"With Power Apps we're able to go from surveying 5 percent of our dealers to surveying 100 percent of our dealers, which is a tremendous productivity gain."
The Forrester Wave™: Low-Code Development Platforms for Professional Developers
Learn why Forrester has recognised Microsoft as a Leader in The Forrester Wave™: Low-Code Development Platforms for Professional Developers, Q2 2021.
Fusion development approach to building apps using Power Apps
The purpose of this guide is to summarise the way in which citizen and professional developers can work together, following a fusion development approach.
Exploring the Possibilities of Low Code: How Pro Developers Can Cook Up Innovation
This e-book provides open-ended Power Apps scenarios to explore and quick design-thinking exercises for professional developers.
Microsoft is named a Leader in the Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Enterprise Low Code Application Platforms
Learn why Gartner has recognised Microsoft as a Leader in the September 2021 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Low-Code Application Platforms.
Frequently Asked Questions
Virtual networks shouldn’t affect access to Power Apps. Power Apps is accessed on internet-capable devices, with the option of offline access via the mobile application. As long as you can pull up a browser and sign into your Power Apps account, you should be able to access your apps.
Monitor app performance and review app telemetry in the Power Platform admin centre. Go to the analytics tab for Dataverse to see statistics, troubleshoot workflows, view app telemetry, and more. Learn about Dataverse analytics, the Power Platform admin centre, and the monitor feature to improve app telemetry.
First, ensure that you have a licence for each user. The type of licence determines access to assets and data. After users have licences, environments exist as containers for Power Apps. Employ environment controls to apply policies to govern at three levels: environment roles, resource permissions for Power Apps, and Dataverse security roles. Learn about Power Apps governance.
The API Management and Power Apps lets you use Azure Functions and API Management to create customised APIs for access to any Microsoft Cloud–hosted data sources. Directly publish API Management–backed connectors to Power Apps and reduce the time to create apps. GitHub enables you to create your own software development lifecycle workflows, or use preconfigured templates, with GitHub Actions to develop, test, and deliver Power Platform solutions.
Power Automate resides with the Microsoft 365 suite, providing a customer-focused experience for building flows without the complexity of development knowledge. Azure Logic Apps resides in Azure and provides an option to use development knowledge to build workflow apps including benefits such as DevOps, advanced security scenarios, and interoperate with related Azure resources.
1Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings or other designation. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner’s research organisation and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, express or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
GARTNER and Magic Quadrant are registered trademark and service mark of Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and internationally and are used herein with permission. All rights reserved.