SAP on Azure
Bring unparalleled performance to your entire SAP estate with Azure. Reliably run and deploy popular SAP products and solutions within minutes—on a secure, scalable, and enterprise-proven cloud platform.
Latest news and events
Why SAP on Azure
Learn how moving your SAP estate to Azure offers you scale and agility.
SAP solution offerings
Explore the SAP products and scenarios supported on Azure.
Architectures and documentation
Get your SAP solution started with technical information and resources.
Why SAP on Azure
Run your SAP applications in a robust and reliable cloud environment that features the broadest global footprint, the largest compliance portfolio, embedded security, enterprise-grade SLAs, and industry-leading support. Azure supports the largest SAP HANA workloads of any hyperscale cloud provider.
More than two decades of SAP partnership in innovating solutions
Azure offers you more global regions than any other cloud provider
24 TB RAM
Flexible scaling for SAP HANA with 99.99% SLA
Trust a partnership built on decades of experience
In 2017, Microsoft and SAP expanded an alliance lasting more than two decades by enabling Microsoft to use SAP S4/HANA to enhance financial analysis and SAP to migrate critical SAP S/4HANA systems to Azure. The result is a joint ecosystem that brings unique insights and rich product integration to help make the most of running SAP solutions and applications in the cloud—accelerating your performance, productivity, and innovation with seamless enterprise-class support.
"The strategic partnership announced between Microsoft and SAP is an extremely important development for the Coca-Cola System. The value of aligned engineering, sales, and delivery between these two strategic partners will allow our system to accelerate our digital agenda."
Meet your compliance and security needs
Protect your data with the most comprehensive set of compliance offerings of any cloud service provider. Microsoft is committed to the highest levels of trust, transparency, certifications, and regulatory compliance. Address your security and privacy needs through a broad suite of cloud products and services, including Azure Security Center, Azure monitoring and management applications, and single sign-on capabilities with Azure Active Directory.
Increase your scale and performance with SAP-certified infrastructure
Get high-performance SAP-certified infrastructure for SAP HANA applications such as SAP S/4HANA and SAP NetWeaver-based applications such as SAP Business Suite or ECC on AnyDB. Run your SAP applications with your choice of database, including SAP HANA, SQL Server, Oracle Database, IBM Db2, and SAP ASE, on your choice of operating system, including Windows, SUSE Linux, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, and Oracle Linux.
On-demand Azure virtual machines certified for SAP
Get SAP-certified on-demand virtual machines (VMs) for SAP NetWeaver applications, such as SAP Business Suite, as well as SAP HANA-based applications, such as SAP S/4HANA.
- Spin up your SAP infrastructure on-demand in minutes, instead of weeks on-premises.
- Bring your own SAP licenses to the cloud and be fully supported.
- Save 40 to 75 percent for dev-test workloads with Azure automation such as DevTest Labs.
- M-series virtual machines are SAP HANA-certified with RAM sizes up to 4 TB.
- Simplify management with built-in services for backup and disaster recovery.
|SAP Product||Licensing||Database||Operating System||SAP-certified VMs||Storage||Support|
|SAP NetWeaver||Bring your own license||SQL Server, Oracle (Windows and Oracle Linux only), DB2, SAP ASE||WindowsSUSE Linux EnterpriseRed Hat Enterprise Linux||A5 to A11D11 to D14DS11 to DS14DS11_v2 to DS15_v2GS1 to GS5D2s_v3 to D64s_v3E2s_v3 to E64s_v3M-series||Premium storage32 GB–4 TB(recommended for DB and I/O intensive workloads)Standard storage32 GB–4 TBManaged Disks are recommended||Pro DirectPremier|
|Business Suite Software||WindowsSUSE Linux EnterpriseRed Hat Enterprise LinuxOracle Linux|
|SAP Business One on HANA||SAP HANA 1.0 SP12 or higher||SUSE Linux Enterprise on Azure||DS14v2,M32ls,M32ts,M64ls,M64s|
|SAP HANA,SAP Business Suite on HANA,SAP S/4HANA (OLTP workloads)||SAP HANA||SUSE Linux EnterpriseRed Hat Enterprise Linux||M32ls,M32ts,M64s,M64ls,M64ms,M128s(scale-out),M128ms|
|SAP BW on HANA,SAP BW/4HANA (OLAP workloads)||GS5M32ls,M32ts,M64s,M64ls,M128s|
SAP HANA on Azure large instance certified configurations
Get purpose-built SAP HANA infrastructure called SAP HANA large instances, with high-performance compute, storage, and network supporting up to 24 TB RAM on a single node and 60 TB for scale-out BW configurations.
- Get SAP HANA-certified IaaS instances with memory from 768 GB to 20 TB.
- Get SAP HANA TDIv5-capable instances with memory up to 24 TB.
- Certified for SAP S/4HANA, SAP BW/4HANA, SAP BW on SAP HANA, and Suite on SAP HANA.
- Bring industry-leading performance with high-performance NFS storage and networking.
- Use cutting-edge Intel Xeon E7-8890 V4 processors.
- Get built-in support for backups through storage snapshots, high availability and disaster recovery, and scale-out configurations.
- Provide 99.99 percent SLA for high-availability pairs and 99.9 percent SLA for a single node.
|SKU||SAP Products||Workload||CPUs||CPU threads||Memory||Storage||Available regions|
|S72||SAP BW,SAP BW/4HANA or SAP HANA,SAP Business Suiteon SAP HANA,SAP S/4HANA||OLAP/OLTP||2 x Intel®Xeon®Processor E7-8890 v3||72||768 GB||3 TB||US West andUS East,Australia East,Australia Southeast,Japan East,Japan West,West Europe,and North Europe|
|S192*||4 x Intel®Xeon®Processor E7-8890 v4||192||2 TB||8 TB|
|S384||8 x Intel®Xeon®Processor E7-8890 v4||384||4 TB||16 TB|
|S72m||SAP Business Suiteon SAP HANA or SAP S/4HANA||OLAP/OLTP||2 x Intel®Xeon®Processor E7-8890 v3||72||1.5 TB||6 TB|
|S192m||4 x Intel®Xeon®Processor E7-8890 v4||192||4 TB||16 TB|
|S384m||8 x Intel®Xeon®Processor E7-8890 v4||384||6 TB||18 TB|
|S384xm||8 x Intel®Xeon®Processor E7-8890 v4||384||8 TB||22 TB|
|S576m||12 x Intel®Xeon®Processor E7-8890 v4||576||12 TB||28 TB|
|S768m||16 x Intel®Xeon®Processor E7-8890 v4||768||16 TB||36 TB|
|S960m||20 x Intel®Xeon®Processor E7-8890 v4||960||20 TB||46 TB|
SAP HANA on Azure large instance TDIv5 configurations
SAP allows customer specific sizing for SAP HANA with TDIv5 (Tailored Datacenter Integration version 5). The list of SAP HANA on Azure large instances are available under TDIv5 authorization. With these instances, customers can get more memory per core, allowing for a cost effective implementation. Customers will need to work with SAP to get certification for their specific project and workload.
|SKU||SAP Products||CPUs||CPU threads||Memory||Storage||Available regions|
|S192xm**||SAP Business Suiteon SAP HANA or SAP S/4HANA||4 x Intel®Xeon®Processor E7-8890 v4||192||6 TB||16 TB||US West andUS East,Australia East,Australia Southeast,Japan East,Japan West,West Europe,and North Europe|
|S384xxm**||8 x Intel®Xeon®Processor E7-8890 v4||384||12 TB||28 TB|
|S576xm**||12 x Intel®Xeon®Processor E7-8890 v4||576||18 TB||41 TB|
|S768xm**||16 x Intel®Xeon®Processor E7-8890 v4||768||24 TB||56 TB|
Customers doing great things with SAP on Azure
Daimler entrusts its SAP HANA–based global procurement system to Azure
"By using Azure, we started to deliver months faster than would have been possible in our on-premises environment."
Malaysia Airlines has more than its planes in the cloud
"By paying only for what we use and by expanding and contracting those resources to meet business needs, we manage SAP much more effectively on Azure than we ever did in our own datacenter."
Accenture boosts SAP HANA agility and performance by migrating to Azure
"For SAP BW on HANA, Azure has premier capabilities to operate at scale. Our SAP BW on HANA capabilities work flawlessly in Azure."
Mining new frontiers of efficiency and agility in the cloud
"With SAP running in Azure, we can deploy needed infrastructure faster and thus respond faster to pricing volatility in commodities, exchange rate fluctuations, and business needs."
GEA’s IT team leads the company’s digital transformation with SAP on Azure
"Our strategy enabled us to migrate 120 SAP systems to Azure within eight months without major business impact."
Transforming data-driven business using SAP on Azure
"Having SAP hosted on Azure eliminates the headaches of building and managing our own infrastructure because security and maintenance are handled by Microsoft."
SAP solution offerings
Learn what you can do by running a broad array of SAP products and scenarios across dev-test and production scenarios in Azure—and be fully supported. From SAP NetWeaver to SAP S4/HANA, Microsoft has you covered.
Run the SAP products you already use
SAP Business Suite/SAP NetWeaver
Develop, provision, and manage your mission-critical SAP and non-SAP applications across a heterogeneous software environment. SAP NetWeaver provides the foundation for operating and customizing products such as SAP Business Suite—a set of fully integrated applications including SAP ERP, SAP CRM, SAP SCM, and SAP SRM.
With SAP NetWeaver on Azure, you get:
- Cost savings and agility for non-production environments by spinning VMs on demand, as well as cost-effective storage options.
- Industry-leading SLAs for VMs running SAP NetWeaver with 99.9 percent availability for a single VM and 99.95 percent for VMs in an availability set.
- Certification that SAP NetWeaver will run on Windows, SUSE Linux Enterprise, and Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
"We acquired a supply-chain modeling solution, and we were able to spin up the necessary compute in Azure in literally hours. In our traditional datacenter model, that would have taken us weeks, since we would have needed to acquire and install a new server."
Get unparalleled choice to run even your largest SAP HANA workloads. Handle both transactions and analytics in-memory on a single data copy to accelerate your business processes, deliver more business intelligence, and simplify your IT environment.
With SAP HANA on Azure, you get:
- On-demand M-series virtual machines certified for SAP HANA with scale up to 4 TB.
- SAP HANA instances that can scale up to 20 TB on a single node.
- Scale out SAP HANA capabilities up to 60 TB
- 99.99 percent SLA for large instances in a high-availability pair and 99.9 percent SLA for a single SAP HANA large instance.
SAP HANA Enterprise Cloud with Azure
Run SAP S/4HANA in a secure, managed cloud. Bring the best in managed services for SAP S/4HANA and the best cloud infrastructure together for seamless enterprise-grade sales and support.
"Our new implementation of SAP HANA Enterprise Cloud on Microsoft Azure is a significant step forward in our enterprise digital transformation. The SAP and Microsoft partnership continues to create powerful solutions that combine application management and product expertise from SAP with a global, trusted and intelligent cloud from Microsoft Azure."
Drive instant value across all lines of business with an intelligent enterprise resource planning (ERP) suite designed specifically for in-memory computing. Whether you want to run SAP S/4HANA in a greenfield implementation or migrate from SAP Business Suite to SAP S/4HANA, Azure has you covered.
With SAP S/4HANA on Azure, you get:
- Seamless connectivity for end users who need to access SAP Fiori-based applications when using Azure ExpressRoute.
- 99.99 percent SLA for your mission-critical ERP instances by running all product instances of SAP S/4HANA in a high-availability pair in two Azure regions.
- Backup for SAP S/4HANA in seconds with a very low recovery time objective—even for multi-terabyte databases.
- Certification that SAP S/4HANA will run on SUSE Linux Enterprise and Red Hat Enterprise Linux—plus, GS5 and SAP HANA on Azure Virtual Machines and SAP HANA on Azure large instance machines are certified to run SAP S/4HANA.
Collect and connect to any data in real time with this next-generation data warehouse built entirely on SAP HANA.
With SAP BW/4HANA on Azure, you get:
- Optimization of your SAP Business Warehouse and analytics environments.
- Peace of mind with an SAP Business Warehouse configuration that’s uniquely resilient to any failures.
- Flexible scaling—SAP HANA large instances support up to 60 TB in scale-out SAP Business Warehouse configurations, with a configuration of up to 15 nodes of 4 TB instances.
- Certification that SAP BW/4HANA will run on SUSE Linux Enterprise and Red Hat Enterprise Linux—plus, GS5 for single-node deployments and SAP HANA on Azure Virtual Machines and large instance machines are certified to run SAP BW/4HANA.
SAP Business One
Increase control over your small business with an enterprise resource planning (ERP) application that captures all your business data in a single system. Get more agility with an on-demand VM infrastructure from Azure by spinning up VMs in minutes. Save costs for non-production systems by using automation capabilities in Azure to shut down VMs.
With SAP Business One on Azure, you get:
- Industry-leading SLAs for virtual machines—99.9 percent availability for a single VM and 99.95 percent availability for VMs in an availability set.
- Certification that SAP Business One will run on Azure Virtual Machines for both SQL Server and SAP HANA databases, as well as on SUSE Linux Enterprise on Azure DS14_v2 VMs offering 16 vCPUs and 112 GB of memory.
Deliver an unmatched customer experience with this customer relationship management (CRM) application. Bring more agility with an on-demand virtual machine infrastructure from Azure by spinning up VMs in minutes. Save costs for non-production systems by using automation capabilities to shut down VMs.
With SAP Hybris on Azure, you get:
- Business continuity by using high availability and disaster recovery services such as Azure Backup and Azure Site Recovery.
- Industry-leading SLAs for virtual machines—99.9 percent availability for a single VM and 99.95 percent availability for VMs in an availability set.
- Certification that SAP Hybris Commerce Platform 5.x and 6.x runs on Windows Server, SQL Server, and Oracle databases. Plus, SAP Hybris runs on all SAP NetWeaver-certified Azure Virtual Machines, such as A-series, D-series, DSv2-series, and M-series.
SAP Cloud Platform
Offer developers the choice to build and extend cloud applications using an open platform as a service (PaaS) along with integrated services.
With SAP Cloud Platform on Azure, developers can:
- Use Cloud Foundry to manage cloud environments
- Co-locate applications with SAP enterprise resource planning (ERP) data for high performance.
- Develop applications faster using Azure services such as Azure Event Hubs for event data processing and Azure Storage for unlimited inexpensive storage.
Implement end-to-end SAP scenarios on Azure
Get high availability of mission-critical systems and robust disaster recovery capabilities when you run your SAP landscape in Azure. Use Azure Virtual Machines if your organization requires heavy compute, storage, and network resources, in minimal time, to avoid lengthy procurement cycles of on-premises cloud setups.
Achieve high availability through a highly resilient architecture with active and standby systems that have databases running with data replication. Azure takes advantage of SAP HANA high-availability and disaster recovery capabilities with SAP HANA large instances, including:
- Storage replication—Replicate data to another SAP HANA large instance stamp in another Azure region.
- SAP HANA system replication—Allow the replication of data in SAP HANA to a separate SAP HANA system.
- Host auto-failover—Recover from the failure of a SAP HANA host with a local, fault-recovery solution.
Set up high availability for SAP HANA in multiple cloud environments using Azure Virtual Machines.
Quickly deploy classic applications—including SAP NetWeaver-based advanced business application programming (ABAP), Java, or an ABAP and Java stack—using Azure Virtual Machines. Integrate Virtual Machines into your organization’s on-premises infrastructure, private cloud, and SAP landscape.
Exceed the capabilities of most on-premises disaster recovery solutions, and at a low total cost of ownership, with Azure Site Recovery—an Azure service that’s been tested and integrated with SAP applications.
Replace your existing on-premises or off-site backup solution with a cloud-based solution that’s reliable, secure, and cost-effective. Backup and restore your SAP data in the Microsoft Cloud with Azure Backup. Protect your critical SAP applications running in your datacenter with Azure Site Recovery—offering flexible recovery plans, low recovery point objectives, and low recovery time objectives. Back up using industry-leading solutions from our partners, such as Commvault.
Instead of treating the cloud as an endpoint or static storage destination, use Azure Backup to access a richer set of tools and capabilities that benefit SAP NetWeaver installations including:
- Automatic storage management
- Unlimited scaling
- Multiple storage options
- Unlimited data transfer
- Data encryption
- Application-consistent backup
- Long-term retention
Use Azure storage blob snapshots for SAP HANA large instances to ensure data consistency and backup your SAP HANA workloads running on virtual machines in Azure.
Capgemini used Azure Backup, with the Azure Key Vault capability, for the backups of all the systems, both SAP and non-SAP at Mosaic.
Deliver SAP features faster and keep a comprehensive and collaborative set of development and testing tools for your team—on a scalable, high-fidelity, on-demand infrastructure.
Azure development and test environments help you:
- Build better applications for all the platforms you use.
- Create dev-test environments in seconds, not weeks.
- Minimize waste while maximizing control.
- Stretch your budget with low dev-test rates and the ability to spin up resources only when needed.
With a broad global footprint, large compliance portfolio, enterprise-grade SLAs, and world-class support, Azure provides a robust, resilient, and reliable environment for your SAP applications. Explore the tools and processes for migrating mission-critical SAP landscapes—including Backup and Restore, database replication, SAP System Copy, SAP SUM Software Update Manager, and more. And get critical information about various migration scenarios, strategies for minimizing downtime, prerequisites for starting the migration process, and post-migration steps and health checks.
Provide self-service visualization for data in your SAP ERP Central Component (ECC), SAP Business Warehouse (BW), and S/4HANA using SAP HANA and SAP BW connector in Power BI Desktop. Try it for free.
Access tools and services that help you:
- Copy data from SAP HANA into Azure data services using the Azure Data Factory connector for SAP HANA, SAP ECC, and SAP BW.
- Store data inexpensively with Azure Data Lake Storage.
- Learn from your data with powerful big data and machine learning services, such as Azure Databricks and Azure Machine Learning.
"We can bring together a variety of data from different sources in Azure HDInsight and Azure SQL Data Warehouse and make it easily accessible in one view across the organization. That’s very powerful."
Seamlessly access all SAP and non-SAP applications with a single credential using the Azure Active Directory single sign on integration for SAP applications, such as SAP ECC, S/4HANA, SAP Concur, and SAP SuccessFactors.
Architectures and documentation
Learn what you can do by running a broad array of SAP products and scenarios across dev-test and production in Azure—and be fully supported. From SAP NetWeaver to SAP S4/HANA, Microsoft has you covered.
SAP solution architectures and documentation
Start your SAP on Azure solution quickly with technical documentation and architectures that help you design and implement secure, highly available, performant, and resilient solutions.
SAP S/4HANA on HANA large instances with HA and DR
This solution architecture illustrates how a user request flows through an SAP landscape built on high-performance Azure Virtual Machines and an in-memory HANA database running on HANA large instances for unparalleled scalability and performance. This system takes advantage of OS clustering for database performance, high availability using HANA system replication, and a full disaster recovery (DR) configuration for guaranteed system availability.
- 1 In this example, an on-premises SAP user executes a sales order via Fiori interface, custom interface, or other.
- 2 Azure high speed express route gateway is used to connect to Azure Virtual Machines.
- 3 Request flows into highly available ABAP SAP Central Services (ASCS) and then through application servers running on Azure Virtual Machines in an availability set offering a 99.95 percent uptime SLA.
- 4 Request is sent from App Server to SAP HANA running on primary large instance blades.
- 5 Primary and secondary blades are clustered at OS level for 99.99 percent availability, and data replication is handled through HANA System Replication in synchronous mode (HSR) from primary to secondary enabling zero RPO.
- 6 In-memory data of SAP HANA is persisted to high-performance NFS storage.
- 7 Data from NFS storage is periodically backed up in seconds, using built-in storage snapshots on the local storage, with no impact to database performance.
- 8 Persistent data volume on secondary storage is replicated to dedicated DR system through a dedicated backbone network for HANA storage replication.
- 9 Large instance on DR side can be used for nonproduction to save costs by mounting both the QA storage and DR replicated volume (read-only).
Jump-start your SAP on Azure solution
Bring scale and agility to your SAP workloads with help from our trusted partners
Accenture provides a range of services and solutions in strategy, consulting, digital, technology, and operations to help clients improve their performance.
Cognizant ensures effective database management for client databases with services ranging from database rationalization to data archival.
Wharfedale Technologies is a longtime SAP partner providing world-class solutions in SAP infrastructure integration for clients migrating to Azure.
Wipro is a leading IT consulting and business process services company that delivers solutions to help clients derive better business results.
We can help you get started with SAP on Azure. Tell us a little about yourself and an Azure team member will get in touch.