Persistent, highly secured disk options that support virtual machines
Whether you’re running mission-critical applications or working with test scenarios, Azure Disk Storage provides the durability, availability and security you need for your virtual machines. Choose Premium Disk Storage (SSD) for I/O intensive applications, where low latency and high throughput are critical. Select Standard SSD for entry-level production workloads that demand consistent performance—or use as a cost-effective solution for development and testing scenarios.
Create a managed disk by specifying the type of storage and the disk size you need. Then, Azure Storage will create and manage it for you.
Highly durable, available and secured
Azure Disks are designed for 99.999% availability. Rest easier knowing that you have three replicas of your data that enables high durability. If one or even two replicas experience issues, the remaining replicas help ensure persistence of your data and high tolerance against failures. This architecture has helped Azure consistently deliver enterprise-grade durability for IaaS disks, with an industry-leading 0% annualised failure rate. Plus, your data is automatically secured using encryption at rest.
Why choose Azure Disk storage?
All cloud disk storage is not the same. Azure offers you:
- Certified lift-and-shift (Azure SQL Database, Microsoft Dynamics AX, Microsoft Dynamics CRM, Microsoft Exchange Server and Microsoft SharePoint) farms are all certified on Premium Disk Storage, so you can count on a fully integrated deployment solution.
- Cache-enhanced performance – When using Premium Disk Storage and DS series virtual machines, unique caching architecture gives you even lower latency for faster performance.
- Cross platform – Linux support, plus end-to-end integration with trusted Microsoft solutions, give you proven options.
Simple scaling on demand
Migrate your on-premises enterprise application to the cloud, and walk away from the hardware and infrastructure management. Scale storage up or down with your virtual machine whenever you need to, and absorb unexpected spikes in traffic or any growth in data storage size. Lift and shift your entire infrastructure model, on Windows or Linux, and get highly scalable, globally available cloud storage.
Low-latency and high-throughput storage
When performance is critical, you want the low latency and high throughput of Premium Disk Storage (SSD). Build your high-performance database with large Azure virtual machines (GS-series), and you’ll get the speed that’s needed for enterprise workloads. Maximum disk throughput per virtual machine is up to 80,000 IOPS and 2,000 MB per second – and it’s even faster with caching.
Low-cost and consistent performance for all Azure VMs
Azure Standard SSDs are a cost-effective SSD offering – an Azure Managed Disk solution optimised for test and entry-level production workloads requiring consistent latency. Standard SSDs can:
- deliver lower latency compared to Standard HDDs;
- be used for big-data workloads that require high throughput;
- improve reliability and scalability for your applications;
- offer the same industry-leading durability and availability you expect from Azure Disk Storage;
- be upgraded to Premium SSDs for more demanding and latency-sensitive workloads.