Windows Server on Azure
Discover the trusted cloud for your Windows Server workloads.
Migrate and modernize your Windows Server workloads on your terms
Run your Windows Server workloads on Azure for a simplified, managed experience for Windows Server virtual machines (VMs) and cloud-native support for SQL Server, .NET apps, and Remote Desktop Services. Modernize your entire Windows Server estate with more than 200 Azure services and capabilities including Azure Automanage, Hotpatch, Azure App Service, Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS), and Azure SQL. Use these services in Azure or extend them to your hybrid environment with Azure Arc.
Using an older version of Windows Server? Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2 reach end of support on October 10, 2023. Explore your options for migrating and modernizing.
Two pie charts showing how you can save up to 40% with Azure Hybrid Benefit and up to 80% with Azure Hybrid Benefit + Azure Reservations
- Save up to 85 percent compared to standard pay-as-you-go rates when you apply Azure Hybrid Benefit to your existing Windows Server and SQL Server licenses.
- Save even more with 3 years of free Extended Security Updates, only on Azure.
- Get industry-leading price-performance with SQL Server on Azure Virtual Machines (Windows).1
windows server virtual machines
- Automatically configure and manage your virtual machines with Azure Automanage.
- Patch without rebooting your Windows Server VMs with hotpatch, only on Azure.
- Get leading database performance from fully managed, secure Azure SQL.
- Gain flexibility and consistency with cloud-native .NET support in Azure App Service and Azure Kubernetes Service.
- Easily deploy a secure, remote desktop experience with Azure Virtual Desktop.
A person working at their desk
- Get unified security management and advanced threat protection with Microsoft Defender for Cloud.
- Proactively secure your server workloads with Microsoft Sentinel, a cloud-native SIEM.
- Encrypt data while in use with industry-leading Azure confidential computing.
- Enable secure and reliable connectivity between edge file servers and Windows Server on Azure with SMB over QUIC.
End-to-end hybrid infrastructure
- Bring Azure security, management, and governance to any infrastructure with Azure Arc.
- Seamlessly extend your on-premises systems to Azure with hybrid capabilities such as Windows Admin Center in Azure, Azure File Sync, Azure Active Directory, and extended network for Azure.
- Get help at every step of your migration journey with the Azure Migration and Modernization Program, Microsoft Cloud Adoption Framework for Azure, and Azure Migrate.
Migrate your Windows Server apps and workloads to Azure
Windows Server on Azure solution architectures
Explore various scenarios for running and managing Windows Server virtual machines and workloads in Azure.
Manage servers across hybrid and multicloud environments with Azure Arc.
Deploy virtual machines (VMs) and a virtual network configured for an N-tier application, using SQL Server on Windows for the data tier.
Use Azure File Sync and Azure Files to extend file services hosting capabilities across cloud and on-premises file share resources.
Resources and documentation
Windows Server on Azure resources
Estimate the cost savings of migrating your Windows workloads to Azure
Use this calculator to compare the total cost of ownership (TCO) of running Windows Server on Azure versus on premises.
Customers are innovating with Windows Server workloads on Azure
Frequently asked questions
You can migrate a range of guest operating systems to Azure. This includes all the supported Windows Server versions and VMs from VMware and Microsoft Hyper-V environments with Azure Site Recovery. VMs migrated from these on-premises virtualization platforms run as native Azure infrastructure as a service (IaaS) VMs and are not dependent on the on-premises hypervisor.
We'll meet you where you are, whether you decide to stay on premises or adopt a hybrid model. In the meantime, check the end-of-support date for your version of Windows Server. Keep it running with Extended Security Updates, and ensure that you’ve upgraded to the latest version to take advantage of all the innovations.
Yes. Azure Hybrid Benefit lets you use your existing Windows Server licenses with Software Assurance or Windows Server subscriptions for significant savings on Azure. Depending on your edition of Windows Server, you can convert or reuse your licenses to run Windows Server VMs on Azure and pay a lower base compute rate. For each license, Azure will cover the cost of the OS for up to two VMs while you pay only the base compute VM costs.
Yes. There's no upfront cost, and you pay for only what you use. Azure provides flexible purchasing and pricing options, including Azure Hybrid Benefit and Azure Reserved Virtual Machine Instances, for all your cloud scenarios. Azure also offers a comprehensive set of tools to help you manage your cloud spend, including Microsoft Cost Management. Use the pricing calculator to determine your total cost of ownership (TCO), and learn more about Azure pricing.
It's important to keep your Windows Servers up to date. Your options for Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2 include:
- Move to Azure and run securely with free Extended Security Updates, saving even more with Azure Hybrid Benefit. Get guidance and support through the Azure Migration and Modernization Program.
- Upgrade to the latest version of Windows Server.
- Stay secure and upgrade later. Learn about Extended Security Updates.
Get started with an Azure free account
Try Windows Server on Azure and get 12 months of popular free services—plus a USD 200 credit to explore Azure for 30 days.
Get help from the Azure Migration and Modernization Program
Accelerate your cloud journey with a proven approach, expert help, and cost-effective offers.
Contact Azure sales
Get answers to questions about your specific scenario from an Azure sales specialist.