- Platform-managed, scalable, and highly available application delivery controller as a service
- 99.95 percent uptime service-level agreement for multi-instance deployments
- Customisable layer 7 load-balancing solution
- Configure Web Application Firewall
- Centralised SSL offload and SSL policy
- Support for cookie-based session affinity
- Support for public, private, and hybrid websites
- Management through Azure APIs
Web application firewall
Protect your applications from common web vulnerabilities such as SQL injection and cross-site scripting. Monitor your web applications using custom rules and rule groups to suit your requirements and eliminate false positives.
Scalable, highly-available web application delivery
Get application-level load-balancing services and routing to build a scalable and highly available web front end in Azure. Autoscaling (preview) offers elasticity by automatically scaling Application Gateway instances based on your web application traffic load.
Integration with Azure services
Application Gateway is integrated with several Azure services. Azure Traffic Manager supports multiple-region redirection, automatic failover, and zero-downtime maintenance. Use Azure Virtual Machines, virtual machine scale sets, or the Web Apps feature of Azure App Service in your back-end pools. Azure Monitor and Azure Security Center provide centralised monitoring and alerting, and an application health dashboard. Key Vault offers central management and automatic renewal of SSL certificates.
Strong encryption from front end to back end helps to secure your data.
Layer 7 intelligent routing
Route traffic to back-end server pools with URL path-based routing, and to multiple web applications using host header-based routing.
Efficient SSL offload and certificate management
Scale your web application with SSL offload, and centralise SSL certificate management to reduce encryption and decryption overhead on your servers.
Related products and services