Custom views with view designer are migrating to Azure Monitor workbooks
Published date: 21 April, 2020
Azure Monitor is making changes to the custom views experience in Azure Monitor Logs workspaces. Beginning March 2020, the view designer tool will be replaced with Azure Monitor workbooks. Workbooks provide a flexible canvas for data analysis and the creation of rich visual reports within the Azure portal. Use them to tap into multiple data sources from across Azure and combine them into unified interactive experiences.
With workbooks, you can do everything you currently do with view designer and more. Some of the additional capabilities you get with workbooks include:
- Support for logs, metrics, Azure Resource Graph, and many other data sources.
- Personal views for individual access control and shared workbooks views for working collaboratively.
- Custom layout options with tabs, sizing, and scaling controls.
- Support for querying across multiple Azure Monitor Logs workspaces, Azure Application Insights applications, and subscriptions.
- Custom parameters that dynamically update associated charts and visualizations.
- Template gallery support from public GitHub.
The changes will happen over several stages, but begin using Azure Monitor workbooks as a replacement for custom views for view designer. In this initial phase, after three months, you’ll no longer be able to create new custom views through view designer in the Azure portal.
More updates will be provided in the upcoming months, and you’ll be given ample time to adjust to the changes in view designer.