Updating hardware generation in managed instance now available in Azure portal
Published date: 27 January, 2020
Managed instance now provides the capability to update hardware generation from Gen4 to Gen5 from the pricing tier screen in the Azure portal.
Use this option to take advantage of the capabilities specific to Gen5 hardware generation:
- Newer Intel E5-2673 v4 (Broadwell) technology.
- The ability to scale up to 80 vCores and 480 GB of RAM or scale down to 4 vCores.
- The ability to scale local storage up to 8 TB.
- Accelerated networking for optimal app performance in case of highly transactional and "chatty" workloads.
- The Best IO performance and minimal low latency with NVMe SSDs (especially useful for tempdb dependent workloads).
- The ability to use instance pools and take advantage of two vCore instances.
Azure SQL Database has begun decommissioning Gen4 Intel E5-2673 v3 (Haswell)-based CPUs and is transitioning to Intel E5-2673 v4 (Broadwell) 2.3 GHz and Intel SP8160 (Skylake) processors for all new deployments.
For more detailed instructions on how to update hardware generation to Gen5, read the documentation.