[This article was contributed by the SQL Azure team.]
Ready to jump in and learn SQL Azure? Here are some resources from Microsoft’s Channel 9.
Introduction to SQL Azure
In this lab, you will walk through a series of simple use cases for SQL Azure such as: preparing your account, managing logins, creating database objects and query your database. Here are the direct links to the various sections:
- Exercise 1: Preparing Your SQL Azure Account
- Exercise 2: Working with Data. Basic DDL and DML
- Exercise 3: Build a Windows Azure Application that Accesses SQL Azure
- Exercise 4: Connecting via Client Libraries
Migrating Databases to SQL Azure
In this lab, you will use the AdventureWorksLT2008 database and show how to move an existing on-premise database to SQL Azure including modifying the DDL and moving data via BCP and SQL Server Integration Services. Here are the direct links to the various sections:
- Exercise 1: Moving an Existing Database to the Cloud
- Exercise 2: Using BCP for Data Import and Export
- Exercise 3: Using SSIS for Data Import and Export
- Known Issues
SQL Azure: Tips and Tricks
In general, working with a database in SQL Azure is the same as working against an on SQL Server with some additional considerations covered in this lab.
- Exercise 1: Manipulating the SQL Azure firewall via API’s
- Exercise 2: Managing Connections – Logging SessionIds
- Exercise 3: Managing Connections – Throttling, latency and transactions
- Exercise 4: Supportability – Usage Metrics
What is SQL Azure?
Just what is SQL Azure? Join Zach in this brief video for an introduction to SQL Azure exploring what makes SQL Azure just like SQL Server and what makes it different and ready for the cloud.
Do you have questions, concerns, comments? Post them below and we will try to address them.