Azure Virtual Machines gives you the flexibility of virtualization for a wide range of computing solutions with support for Linux, Windows Server, SQL Server, Oracle, IBM, SAP, and more. All current generation Virtual Machines include load balancing and auto-scaling at no cost. For optimal performance, we recommend pairing your Virtual Machines with Managed Disks. Standard egress charges apply.
Choose from the following payment options for Virtual Machines. Combine either option with the Azure Hybrid Benefit for additional savings.
Pay as you go
Pay for compute capacity by the second, with no long-term commitment or upfront payments. Increase or decrease compute capacity on demand. Start or stop at any time and only pay for what you use.
- Users who prefer the low cost and flexibility of Azure Virtual Machines.
- Applications with short-term, spiky, or unpredictable workloads that cannot be interrupted.
- Applications being developed or tested on Azure Virtual Machines for the first time.
Reserved Virtual Machine Instances
An Azure Reserved Virtual Machine Instance is an advanced purchase of a Virtual Machine for one or three years in a specified region. The commitment is made up front, and in return, you get up to 72 percent price savings compared to pay-as-you-go pricing. Reserved Virtual Machine Instances are flexible and can easily be exchanged or returned.
- Applications with steady-state usage.
- Customers who want budget predictability.
- Customers who can commit to using a virtual machine (VM) over a one-year or three-year term to reduce computing costs.
Deploying SQL Server in Azure VMs combines the industry-leading performance and security, built-in artificial intelligence, and business intelligence of SQL Server, now available on both Linux and Windows, with the flexibility, security, and hybrid connectivity of Azure. This enables you to maintain full flexibility and control over the database and operating system, whether Windows or Linux, while enabling full compatibility for lift and shift, dev/test, and hybrid business continuity.
- Mission critical high availability
- Enhanced in-memory performance
- Faster performance with Adaptive Query Processing
- Unparalleled data security
- End-to-end mobile BI with rich visualizations on all major platforms
- In-database advanced analytics built-in at scale with R and Python
- End-to-end database security with Always Encrypted
- Enhanced in-memory performance for all workloads
- Basic reporting
- Basic analytics
- Development and management tools
- Free to use (no software costs)
- Build, test, and demo apps in non-production environments
- Free to use (no software costs)
- All Enterprise Edition features available
Example Virtual Machines pricing
Azure Virtual Machines are designed for all budgets and workloads, starting from our economical Bs-series to our newest GPU VMs optimized for machine learning. Explore popular categories:
Our Bs-series VMs provide an economical, low-cost solution for workloads that normally don't use a lot of CPU, but occasionally need to burst to handle higher workloads. Free for 12 months.
Raw compute power
Fsv2 is our newest compute-optimized VM family and uses the Intel Skylake processor. Fsv2 delivers the latest Intel CPU for raw compute power.
Balanced CPU and memory
Our Dv3 family is the latest generation of our general purpose VMs. It's appropriate for a variety of workloads.
High memory-to-core ratio
Ev3 is our latest generation memory-optimized VM. It's great for relational database servers, caches, and in-memory analytics.