Since 2009, Microsoft and SUSE have partnered to provide Azure-optimized solutions for SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES). SLES for SAP Applications is the leading platform for SAP solutions on Linux, with over 90 percent of SAP HANA deployments and 70 percent of SAP NetWeaver applications running on SUSE. Microsoft and SUSE jointly offer agility and flexibility for next-generation SAP landscape powered by SAP HANA.
Microsoft is sponsoring SUSECON Digital 2022 to bring the latest technological advancements to customers and the open-source community at large. In keeping with SUSECON Digital 2022’s Future Forward theme, we’ll be shining light on the latest and greatest, unraveling the worlds of business-critical Linux, enterprise container management, and edge innovation. In the three-day event from June 7 to 9, Microsoft will participate in several activities such as keynotes, demo sessions, and virtual booths. When you need a break, there are wellness sessions, games, and opportunities to win exciting prizes.
The need for innovation has never been greater. To become more agile and accelerate innovation, organizations are embarking on journeys of digital transformation. These transformations require modernizing legacy infrastructure and applications, adopting cloud-native technologies, and pushing organizational boundaries beyond the data center and cloud, all the way to the edge.
Hiren Shah, Head of Products, SAP on Azure Core Platform, Microsoft will join Markus Noga, GM Linux, SUSE at the Business Critical Linux keynote session to highlight how our partnership powers SAP workloads in critical business functions such as finance, supply chain, procurement, and enhances customer experience. Downtime caused by infrastructure outages can result in business disruption and lost revenue. A few areas where joint development is currently in progress include:
- High availability with SUSE pacemaker cluster for SAP HANA workloads.
- Automated resource migration when infrastructure fails.
- Automation of deployment for SAP HANA workloads and Operating System configuration including High Availability.
- Monitoring of high availability (HA) setup with Azure monitor for SAP Solutions.
- Identifying common configuration errors through customer engagements
- Live patching, balanced uptime, and security needs
In addition to the Cornerstone Keynote discussion, the Microsoft team will deliver six breakout sessions, covering topics such as Azure high-performance computing software platform, SLES for SAP applications, Azure Hybrid Benefit, SQL server, automotive software development, and more. We will focus on best practices for SQL Server SLES-based Azure Virtual Machines. Many of our customers are now deploying SQL Server containers as part of their data estate modernization strategy; the sessions will cover how Rancher can be used to deploy SQL Server containers and manage production workloads.
Migrating mission-critical SAP workloads can be complex for enterprises. Microsoft’s open source SAP Deployment Automation Framework can help customers deploy infrastructure using Terraform (infrastructure as code) and install SAP using Ansible (configuration as code). SUSE has been a co-development partner with Microsoft in developing this open source framework. This framework enables the accelerated deployment of SAP and is aligned with reference architecture and best practices. We are excited to continue our partnership with SUSE as we explore synergies within SAP operations (and beyond) to see an increasing number of customers and partners leveraging our framework.
Learn more about the latest updates
- Join us at SUSECON Digital 2022 to learn more and bring your questions to our experts. Learn more about deploying secure, reliable, flexible hybrid cloud environments using SUSE solutions on Azure.
- Explore how Azure Hybrid Benefit extends SLES workloads on Azure removing migration friction with integrated support provided by Microsoft.
- Learn how Azure Monitor for SAP Solutions monitors products for customers.
- Read more about SQL Server on Virtual Machines and how to migrate to the cloud.
- Discover how to use SUSE SAP automation solution on Azure.