This blog post was co-authored by Erin Chapple, CVP, Microsoft Windows Server, and Rohan Kumar, CVP, Microsoft Data.
The beginning of a new year is always a time to reflect on our plans. At Microsoft, with the end of support for 2008 servers looming, we’ve been thinking about how we can help you with your server refresh journey. How can we enable you to take advantage of all the cutting-edge innovations available in Azure?
And as we take stock, we believe that the 3 reasons why Azure is the best place to transform your 2008 server applications are:
- Security: With security threats becoming more and more sophisticated, increasing your organization’s security policies should be top of mind. The good news is that Azure is the most trusted cloud in the market with more certifications than any other public cloud.
- Innovation: We have an optimized, low-risk path to help you embrace Azure. And once you are there, you can continue to innovate with fully-managed services such as Azure SQL Database, Azure Cosmos DB and Azure AI.
- Cost savings: By taking advantage of Azure Hybrid Benefit and Extended Security updates, you can save significantly. For example, moving a hundred 2008 servers to Azure can save you more than $300K over 3 years compared to the cost of running them on-premises (check out our Azure TCO calculator to do your own modelling). And you don’t need to think past Azure for Windows Server and SQL Server: AWS is 5x more expensive.
Get started now – we’re here to help!
The end of support for SQL Server 2008/R2 is now less than six months away on July 9th, 2019 and support ends for Windows Server 2008/R2 on January 14th, 2020. Windows 7, Office 2010 and Exchange Server are also ending their extended support soon. Microsoft and our partners are here to help you in every step of the way. Here are 3 steps to help you make the shift to a modern estate:
Step 1: Assess your environment
The first step is to get a complete inventory of your 2008 server environment. Rank each workload by strategic value to your organization. Answer questions like: How would this workload benefit from running in the cloud? What needs to remain on-premises? What is your strategy for upgrading each server to current versions? By establishing your priorities and objectives at the start, you can ensure a more successful migration.
Step 2: Know your options
Microsoft offers a wide range of solutions to modernize your 2008 server applications on your terms:
Azure SQL Database Managed Instance: Get full engine compatibility with existing SQL Server deployments (starting with SQL Server 2008), while enabling PaaS capabilities (automatic patching and version updates, automated backups, high-availability) and AI-based features that drastically reduce management overhead and TCO.
Windows Server and SQL Server in Azure Virtual Machines: Get the flexibility of virtualization for a wide range of computing solutions—development and testing, running applications and extending your datacenter.
Windows Server and SQL Server on-premises: Bring innovative security and compliance features, industry-leading performance, mission-critical availability, advanced analytics built-in and new deployment options such as containers. Refresh your hardware and software infrastructure with Windows Server 2016 and 2019 and SQL Server 2017 and 2019.
Step 3: Make the move
Build your cloud migration plan using four widely adopted strategies: rehost, refactor, rearchitect, and rebuild applications. Choose the right mix for your business, considering the new database and OS options. Join our upcoming webinars and events to learn more:
- January 15th to March 21st: SQL Server and Azure Data Services Roadshow
- January 24th: Webinar: Transform Your Business with a Modern Data Estate
- January 29th: Webinar: Transform Windows Server 2008 Apps and Infrastructure
When you add it all up, Microsoft has the most comprehensive and compelling Cloud, Data and AI platform on the planet. Only Microsoft offers expansive programs that deliver unprecedented value for your existing investments and we are here to help on your refresh journey. We are excited to see how you and your organization continue to innovate and transform your world!