Today we are announcing Casablanca, a Microsoft incubation effort to support cloud based client-server communication in native code using a modern asynchronous C++ API design.
Casablanca is a project to start exploring how to best support C++ developers who want to take advantage of the radical shift in software architecture that Windows Azure represents.
Here’s what you get with Casablanca:
- Support for writing native-code REST for Windows Azure, including Visual Studio integration
- Convenient libraries for accessing Windows Azure blob and queue storage from native clients as a first class Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) feature
- Support for accessing REST services from native code on Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 Consumer Preview by providing asynchronous C++ bindings to HTTP, JSON, and URIs
- A Visual Studio extension SDK to help you write C++ HTTP client side code in your Windows 8 Metro style app
- A consistent and powerful model for composing asynchronous operations based on C++ 11 features
- A C++ implementation of the Erlang actor-based programming model
- A set of samples and documentation
We have released Casablanca on devlabs as to get feedback from you on what you think your needs are and how we can improve. Please use the forums to give us feedback.
For additional details
Thanks, the Casablanca team.