If your business relies on SAP enterprise applications, we know that the journey to SAP HANA and the cloud are top of mind. There are many areas of consideration that make your decisions complex – price/performance, compliancy, availability, scalability, operational agility and your ability to innovate.
Today at the SAP Sapphire Now conference, Microsoft and SAP announced new, exciting deployment options on Azure that provide the broadest support and unparalleled performance including the capability to handle the largest SAP HANA production workloads of any hyper-scale public cloud provider.
With this announcement, Microsoft and SAP, leaders in both enterprise software and cloud, are expanding our partnership to provide more choice for SAP deployments. Azure will soon provide platform capabilities for a much larger range of SAP applications, including:
- SAP HANA on Azure with multi-node support for deployments capable of scaling up to 32TBs of memory for SAP HANA Enterprise OLAP applications like SAP BW.
- SAP HANA on Azure with single-node support up to 3TB each of memory for SAP HANA Enterprise OLTP applications like S/4HANA.
- SAP HANA One images in Azure Marketplace
- Controlled Availability of SAP S/4HANA on Azure GS5 [i]
Additionally, the following new scenarios are available today:
- SAP HANA Enterprise on Azure GS5 for OLAP (single node) in production and non-production scenarios
- SAP HANA Enterprise on Azure GS5 for OLTP NetWeaver solutions for non-production scenarios
SAP HANA on Azure includes a new set of large instance types that delivers the most powerful SAP certified public cloud infrastructure to handle the largest SAP HANA workloads.
SAP HANA on Azure (Large Instances) [ii]
2 x Intel® Xeon® Processor E7-8890 v3, 768 GB RAM, 3 TB Storage
4 x Intel® Xeon® Processor E7-8890 v3, 1.5 TB RAM, 6 TB Storage
2 x Intel® Xeon® Processor E7-8890 v3, 1.5 TB RAM, 6 TB Storage
4 x Intel® Xeon® Processor E7-8890 v3, 3 TB RAM, 12 TB Storage
With these new deployment options, customers can reliably run their most demanding and mission critical SAP HANA workloads on a highly scalable, compliant and enterprise-proven platform. Early adopters, Coats LLC, Rockwell Automation and Nortek are already taking advantage of this infrastructure to run their SAP deployments in Azure. SAP is also actively evaluating Azure to host its internal deployment of SAP S/4HANA for Concur®.
As part of this announcement we are also thrilled to extend the certification and support of SAP Business Suite, NetWeaver and SAP HANA Developer Edition on Azure Linux Virtual Machines. Customers can choose to deploy a two-tier or a three-tier SAP configuration with various Azure VM sizes available to support SAP workloads ranging from 2,000 SAPS to 250,000 SAPS capacity.
Azure offers the most comprehensive platform for running SAP workloads, with a broad range of choice and capabilities for enterprise customers. In addition to the new announcements supporting SAP HANA, our existing support for SAP applications include the following:
- Choice of Linux and Windows for OS of various SAP solutions
- Choice of SAP ASE, IBM DB2, Oracle, and SQL Server for Database Management System for SAP NetWeaver workloads
- Built in support for HA/DR and enterprise grade security and compliance
- Agile provisioning of environments for the full application lifecycle – dev/test/prod/support
- A rich development environment to build modern apps using higher level of Azure services – O365, BI, Machine Learning, Mobile, etc. in 32 Azure regions
- SAP HANA Developer Edition on Azure Virtual Machines through the SAP Cloud Appliance Library.
To get started today with deploying an SAP system on Azure Linux VMs, refer to the Running SAP Applications on the Microsoft Platform blog. For more information on today’s announcements, take a look at our SAP solutions page.
[i] Contact your Microsoft or SAP account manager for more information.
[ii] Contact your Microsoft or SAP account manager for more information about support for these large instances.