Turn your vision into impact by moving to Azure
Migrate to the cloud. Save on cloud costs, increase efficiency, and accelerate growth by adopting a cloud operations–based model on infrastructure as a service (IaaS) technologies. Modernize to drive innovation with fully managed platform as a service (PaaS) offerings.
Assess your readiness to migrate to the cloud.
Accelerate time to market with fully managed Azure services for PaaS, containers, low-code apps, and databases.
Speed up app delivery, boost developer productivity, and join more than 70 million developers working with GitHub and Visual Studio.
Find transformative solutions for any industry, including healthcare, financial services, retail, and manufacturing.
Mitigate business disruptions with built-in high-availability and disaster recovery options.
Reduce your emissions footprint as you migrate and modernize with carbon-intelligent sustainability solutions.
Azure is optimized for SAP. Move your SAP applications with confidence, and get data analytics and visualization services that work with both SAP and non-SAP data.
Get unmatched price-performance for Windows Server and SQL Server, simplified Windows Server VM management, and SQL Server compatibility with an enterprise-grade SLA.
Extend Azure innovation to on-premises environments and enable consistent app development and DevOps practices across hybrid environments.
Consistently manage and govern Linux, Windows, and SQL workloads across on-premises and multicloud environments.
Get comprehensive cloud security management and workload protection for all of your assets, anywhere.
Only on Azure: Get extended security updates for 3 more years at no additional charge on Windows Server 2012 R2 and SQL Server 2012 R2.
Why migrate and modernize with Azure?
Transform your business with agility, resiliency, and cost optimization.
Tools and resources
Provide secure, remote access to desktops and applications—in just minutes—from virtually anywhere.
Get minimal downtime, fully managed and self-managed options, built-in high availability, monitoring, and security by migrating your databases to Azure.
Spend more time innovating and less time managing infrastructure by modernizing your .NET, Java, and PHP web apps and databases.
Mainframe and midrange
Migrate and modernize with ease and without abandoning the applications you rely on.
Bring intelligence, security, and reliability to SAP with a simplified migration path—thanks to the unique partnership between Microsoft and SAP.
Migrate terabytes to petabytes of file and object data with specialized solutions.
Calculate estimated costs with Azure product pricing and example scenarios. Save multiple estimates for different approaches.
Trusted by companies of all sizes
Frequently asked questions
There are a lot of benefits with application and data modernization, but most organizations are motivated by one or both of the following:
- Spend more time innovating and less time maintaining legacy infrastructure by using cloud-native technologies.
- Build applications that are resilient, highly scalable, independently deployable, and able to evolve quickly by using microservices architecture.
All workload cloud migrations—including databases—typically follow a six-step process. Factors such as the types of workloads, the complexity of the existing digital estate, and industry or governmental compliance requirements might require special planning and tools, but the six steps are almost always the same:
- Define strategy: Define your business justification and expected outcomes.
- Plan: Align actionable adoption plans to business outcomes.
- Ready: Prepare your environment for your cloud migration strategy.
- Adopt: Move your workloads to the cloud environment.
- Govern: Benchmark and implement governance best practices for your environment and workloads.
- Manage: Use proven methodologies to manage your cloud and hybrid solutions.
Modernize your .NET or Java apps by using Azure App Service or Azure Spring Cloud, and modernize your databases by using Azure managed databases like Azure SQL Database and Azure SQL Managed Instances. Modernization enables you to take advantage of Azure platform as a service (PaaS) capabilities such as built-in security, patching, high availability, and autoscaling.
You can also containerize your .NET and Java apps and run them in Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS) without needing to make any code changes.
Extend Azure management and services to hybrid, multicloud and edge environments using Azure Arc. Azure Arc simplifies governance and management by delivering a consistent multi-cloud and on-premises management platform, enabling you to manage your entire environment with a single pane of glass by projecting your existing resources into Azure Resource Manager. You can also manage virtual machines, Kubernetes clusters, and databases as if they’re running in Azure.
Explore self-guided or expert-guided support
Find guidance and support with the Azure Migration and Modernization Program.
-  IDC Business Value White Paper, sponsored by Microsoft Azure, The Business Value of Migrating and Modernizing with Azure, IDC #US49665122, September 2022.
-  Optimize and maximize cloud investment with Azure savings plan for compute: Microsoft Community Hub.
-  GigaOm April 2022 report sponsored by Microsoft: Costs and Benefits of .NET Application Migration to the Cloud.
-  The carbon benefits of cloud computing, A study on the Microsoft Cloud in partnership with WSP, 2020.