Linux on Azure
Run and manage applications your way with your preferred Linux distribution on Azure.
Get a seamless Linux experience for every workload
Azure offers several common Linux distributions, including Red Hat, SUSE, and Ubuntu by Canonical. Create your own Linux virtual machines (VMs), deploy and run containers in Kubernetes, or choose from hundreds of preconfigured images and Linux workloads in Azure Marketplace. Select Azure Linux as the container host operating system (OS) for your Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS) clusters. To run community-supported Linux distributions on Azure, simply upload your preferred Linux OS image.
- Avoid lengthy lead time for Linux environment preparation and migrate with less friction.
- Spend less time on administrative tasks using intuitive Linux open-source environment and application management tools.
- Get complete built-in support for Red Hat and SUSE.
- Streamline the creation of fully governed environments with Azure landing zones using Bicep.
- Build scalable applications with scale sets for Linux VMs. Create and manage a group of load-balanced VMs that can automatically increase or decrease in response to demand or a defined schedule.
- Detect weak spots across your cloud configuration, strengthen the overall security posture of your environment, and help protect workloads across multicloud and hybrid environments from evolving threats with Microsoft Defender for Cloud.
- Simplify security operations and speed up threat responses with Microsoft Sentinel, an AI-based security information and event management (SIEM) service.
- Prevent identity mismanagement across your Linux and Windows workloads with Azure role-based access control and Azure Active Directory (Azure AD).
- Balance compliance with business agility using governance tools like Azure Policy.
- Manage your cloud spend with transparency and accuracy through Microsoft Cost Management.
- Simplify data protection with Azure Backup, a centralized backup solution that scales based on your needs.
- Minimize downtime and help ensure business continuity during planned and unplanned outages with Azure Site Recovery.
- Get full observability into your applications, cloud infrastructure, and network with Azure Monitor.
- Manage your Linux services across cloud and on-premises environments using Azure Arc.
- Build a truly consistent hybrid cloud infrastructure by integrating your on-premises and cloud environments with Azure Stack and the Open Service Broker API.
- Apply containers to your hybrid Red Hat workloads with Azure Red Hat OpenShift.
- Experience high throughput and low latency for all endorsed Linux distributions with best-in-class InfiniBand networks.
- Bring your existing Red Hat and SUSE Linux subscription and licenses to Azure using Azure Hybrid Benefit for Linux VMs.
- Reduce costs up to 72 percent compared to pay-as-you-go pricing for Linux on Azure.1 Lower your upfront cash outflow with monthly payment options at no additional cost.
- Receive a discount on Azure services by purchasing reservations. Take advantage of one-year or three-year terms to support your budget goals.
- Get lower prices with an Azure savings plan by agreeing to spend a fixed hourly amount on compute services for one or three years.
Red Hat on Azure
Accelerate your innovation and digital transformation with Red Hat Linux solutions on Azure.
SUSE on Azure
Take advantage of high-performance solutions that come with running SUSE Linux on Azure.
Ubuntu on Azure
Optimize your Ubuntu experience on Azure, delivered in partnership with Canonical.
Use the open-source Azure Linux distribution as a container host OS for AKS.
Linux virtual Machines in Azure
Provision Windows and Linux virtual machines in seconds.
Easily discover, assess, and migrate your on-premises virtual machines to Azure.
Training and documentation
Discover how to migrate and modernize Linux-based workloads with Azure for improved scalability, security, and privacy.Linux on Azure learning modules, quickstarts, and more
Browse supporting resources and documentation to streamline your journey to running Linux on Azure.
Get the latest Linux on Azure news and resources
Find the right Linux VMs for your needs and budget with the VM selector
Use the virtual machines selector tool to identify the best VM and disk storage combination based on the workload requirements and technical specifications you enter. Add the selected VMs to the pricing calculator for a comprehensive cost analysis.
Customers are innovating with Linux on Azure
Achieving a unified global cloud transformation
The delivery platform transformation achieved workload migration savings of more than $100000 per month. In addition, NTT estimates the overall three-year total cost of ownership savings from the move to a consumption-based Azure model to be $1 million.
Embracing a cloud-based future to boost cost savings
Umeshi de Fonseka, Chief Technology Officer, AIA Sri Lanka
"We've taken the time to use cloud-native technologies wherever possible. ...We've realized a cost savings benefit of more than 20 percent compared to our previous on-premises setup as of now."
Serving up ease of management and modern security
Scott Clennell, Platform and Infrastructure Services Manager, Greggs
"Azure Arc supports us by freeing up our time from the day-to-day activities of the technical team and focusing on the customer value-add activities. It helps us to make sure that services are always on at the right time for the customer."
Mapping a path to innovation with Linux on Azure
Koen Denecker, Vice President of Platform Engineering, TomTom
"By choosing a cloud platform that supports Linux so beautifully, we can embrace open-source innovation in an unconstrained manner. Azure supplies the management and control capabilities coupled with the safety, security, and compliance we need."
Reimagining convenience for bank customers
Sam Jawad, Head of Banking and Financial Intermediaries, ACI Worldwide
"The joint credibility of ACI Worldwide and Microsoft in the marketplace will help us redefine the future of payments as we use imaginative solutions like Linux on Azure. That can only happen with a partner like Microsoft."
See available Linux VM images
Browse all the published Linux distributions and workloads on Azure Marketplace.
Create a Linux virtual machine
Learn how to create a Linux virtual machine using the Azure portal.
Ready when you are
Let’s set up your Azure free account.
1Savings calculations based on one M32ts Azure VM for Ubuntu Linux in the East US Azure region running for 36 months at a pay-as-you-go rate of ~$1976.11/month; reduced rate for a 3-year reserved instance of ~$552.85/month. Azure pricing as of April 6, 2023 (prices subject to change). Actual savings may vary based on location, instance type, or usage.