How do I license SQL Server in Azure Virtual Machines?
If you are an end-customer using SQL Server, you can:
- Obtain a SQL Server image from the Marketplace and pay the per-minute licensing rate of SQL Server. The SQL Server licence fee is included in the virtual machine image price as shown in the Virtual Machines pricing page.
- Customers with Software Assurance can use License Mobility to bring licenses on premise. This can be done by:
- Obtaining a SQL Server, Bring Your Own Licence (BYOL) image from the Marketplace. Azure does not charge for images with SQL licensing.
- Manually installing SQL Server in a Windows Server Virtual Machine from the Marketplace.
- Uploading a SQL Server image from on premises to Azure to create a virtual machine. You must report the usage of licenses to Microsoft using the License Mobility Verification form within 10 days.
Related questions and answers
Learn how to use password management.
Learn how to select the right installation type.
Learn how to create users using PowerShell.