What is a streaming unit? What benefits do I get if I use it?
A streaming unit provides a dedicated set of resources for content streaming, with each unit increasing guaranteed bandwidth throughput by up to 200 Mbps.
Related questions and answers
Both edges of the input video must fit within the supported input resolution of each meter. For example, a 600 x 481 video exceeds the maximum 640 x 600 resolution of S1 by virtue of both edges being greater than 480, and so would be subject to S2 metering.
Yes, you can purchase multiple streaming units for content streaming.
It depends on the current state of a channel. Possible values include:
- Stopped. This is the initial state of the channel after its creation. In this state, the channel properties can be updated but streaming is not allowed.
- Starting. The channel is being started. No updates or streaming are allowed during this state. If an error occurs, the channel returns to the “Stopped” state.
- Running. The channel is capable of processing live streams.
- Stopping. The channel is being stopped. No updates or streaming are allowed during this state.
- Deleting. The channel is being deleted. No updates or streaming are allowed during this state. The following table shows how channel states map to the billing mode. |Channel state|Portal UI indicators|Billed?| |---|---|---| |Starting|Starting|No (transient state)| |Running|Ready (no programs running) or Streaming (at least one program running)|Yes| |Stopping|Stopping|No (transient state)| |Stopped|Stopped|No|
No, you will only be charged based on output minutes, plus the number of media reserved units. See the example below for more details.
Yes, you can scale the number of media reserved units in your account. While there are default limits in the Azure Portal, for example a maximum of 25 S2 media reserved units, these are soft limits. You can contact us if you need higher limits.
You are charged based on the highest number of streaming units that are provisioned each day. In this example, you will be charged for four streaming units for that day.