How do I license SQL Server in Azure Virtual Machines?
If you are an end customer using SQL Server, you can:
- Obtain an SQL Server image from the Marketplace and pay the per-minute licensing rate of SQL Server. The SQL Server licence fee is included in the virtual machine image price as shown on the Virtual Machines pricing page.
- Customers with Software Assurance can use Licence Mobility to bring licences to their premises. This can be done by:
- Obtaining an SQL Server, Bring Your Own Licence (BYOL) image from the Marketplace. Azure doesn’t charge for images with SQL licensing.
- Manually installing an SQL Server in a Windows Server Virtual Machine from the Marketplace.
- Uploading an SQL Server image from on premises to Azure to create a virtual machine. You must report usage of licences to Microsoft using the Licence Mobility Verification form within 10 days.
Related questions and answers
Azure Marketplace is designed for IT professionals and cloud developers who are interested in commercial and IT software in infrastructure, developer tools, virtual machine images and APIs.
Publishers based in the following countries can currently sell in the Azure Marketplace: Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Central African Republic, Chad, Chile, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Congo (DRC), Costa Rica, Côte D'Ivoire, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia, Fiji Islands, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Guinea, Haiti, Honduras, Hong Kong SAR, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Korea (South), Kuwait, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Liberia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mali, Malta, Mauritius, Mexico, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Nepal, Netherlands, The, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Somalia, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Vietnam, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Azure Marketplace is a launchpad for joint Go-to-market activities with Microsoft and the doorway to a Co-sell Ready partnership opportunity. All new listings in Azure Marketplace are automatically offered a set of no cost Go-to-market benefits to help drive awareness of your offer to our customer ecosystem. The GTM benefits deliver a variety of co-marketing and co-sell activities designed to leverage our brand, channels and ecosystem to help partners drive awareness for their solution and generate sales. No action is required by partner. As soon as an offer is published, our GTM team will contact the partner to begin delivery. For more information on our GTM benefits and ways to grow your business in marketplace, please visit here.