Accelerate and simplify serverless application development
Azure Functions is an event-driven, serverless compute platform that helps you develop more efficiently using the programming language of your choice. Focus on core business logic with the highest level of hardware abstraction. Simplify complex orchestration challenges, build and debug locally, deploy at scale in the cloud, and connect functions to Azure services using triggers and bindings.
Integrated programming model with a variety of programming languages
Built-in serverless elasticity to build secure, reliable apps at scale
Flexible hosting options with a pay-per-use model for improved operational efficiency
Built-in Azure DevOps tools for an end-to-end development experience
Develop your way
- Choose from popular programming languages you already know.
- With the integrated programming model, respond to events and seamlessly connect to other Azure services with a rich set of triggers and bindings.
- Use the optimized inner loop for local development and testing.
Use event-driven architecture with open-source components
- Build your app with a wide variety of data and event sources.
- Simplify complex orchestration challenges with the Durable Functions extension and write stateful workflows in a serverless compute environment.
- Integrate multiple app types in a microservices design.
- Safeguard your app with Azure Key Vault, network isolation, and built-in secure triggers and bindings.
- Enforce regulatory compliance controls using Azure Policy with built-in guardrails and cloud security benchmarks.
Build cost optimized portable serverless apps
- Choose your target compute with flexible hosting options including pay per use.
- Deploy and scale apps faster with reduced operations. Leverage a centralized environment for consistent and secure network isolation, observability, and scaling.
Get built-in application lifecycle management
- Get a complete serverless application development experience—from building and debugging locally to deploying and monitoring in the cloud.
- Deploy, monitor, and govern your applications with Azure DevOps, GitHub Actions, and more Azure services.
- Build extensible deployment pipelines for your needs.
Comprehensive security and compliance, built in
Microsoft invests more than USD1 billion annually on cybersecurity research and development.
We employ more than 3,500 security experts who are dedicated to data security and privacy.
Choose the hosting plan that fits your business needs
Scale automatically and pay only for compute resources when your functions are running.
Scale on demand, use pre-warmed workers to run applications with no delay after idle, run on more powerful instances, and connect to virtual networks.
Azure App Service plan
Run Functions at regular App Service plan rates for long-running operations, and when more predictive scaling and costs are required.
Azure Container Apps (preview)
Use Functions with Container Apps plans for multitype microservices architecture, consistent network, observability, and billing configurations.
Get started with an Azure free account
After your credit, move to pay as you go to keep building with the same free services. Pay only if you use more than your free monthly amounts.
See what customers are doing with Azure Functions
BrainStorm uses Functions to achieve scalability
By moving to a service-oriented architecture based on Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS) and Azure Functions, BrainStorm achieved faster development, better functionality, stability, flexible costs, and scalability to deliver a better user experience.
Yale School of Medicine makes every organ count
Yale School of Medicine is using Azure to digitally transform clinical research aimed at improving the viability of kidneys used in transplants. Using a novel big data platform on Azure, researchers now get insights in minutes instead of months.
Mr. Turing accelerates cognitive search with Azure
“When customers send us documents, we need to process them fast. Azure Functions and Azure Kubernetes Service both deliver great scalability, enabling us to process many documents in parallel to keep our customers happy—without paying for spare capacity when we don’t need it.”
Vinícius Oliveira, Research and Development Lead, Mr. Turing
EnBW automates its Virtual Power Plant with Azure
“By moving to a serverless architecture, we were able to achieve tremendous gains in speed. That’s what clinched it for us.”
Tobias Lindner, Head of IT, EnBW’s Virtual Power Plant
Azure Functions documentation, sample code, and resources
Find inspiration and explore detailed Functions concepts in the documentation.
Build and monitor event-driven applications with the Azure Serverless Computing Cookbook.
Community and Azure Support
Follow Azure Functions on Twitter.
Ask questions and get support from Microsoft engineers and Azure community experts on Stack Overflow.
Find samples and repositories on GitHub.
Build these solutions with Functions
Frequently asked questions about Azure Functions
Functions apps on Consumption plans and App Service plans will run or be available 99.95 percent of the time.
Functions can run in different modes: Consumption plan, Azure App Service plan, Premium plan, and Azure Container Apps (preview).
Avoid hard-coding access to other services like Azure Blog storage and Azure Cosmos DB using triggers and bindings. Triggers are what cause a function to run, and bindings are declarations that connect the function to another resource.
Create and test functions on your local machine using your favorite code editor and development tools. Connect local functions to live Azure services and debug them on your local computer using the full Functions runtime. The requirements for developing functions on your local computer depend on the programming languages and tools you prefer.
Running Functions on Container Apps (preview) is a good fit for multitype microservices architecture in a centralized environment. This gives you consistent network, observability, and billing configurations.