Azure Plan for DevTest
DevTest Plan advantages
As an active subscriber of Visual Studio with the Microsoft Customer Agreement, run your development and testing workloads on Azure by using the Azure Plan for DevTest, which includes:
- Access to exclusive DevTest images in the gallery, including Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 images.
- Lower DevTest rates running Windows on Azure Virtual Machines, Azure App Service, Azure Cloud Services, Azure HDInsight, Azure Logic Apps and Azure SQL Database.
- Centralised management via the Azure portal.
- The ability to create multiple subscriptions, making the plan ideal for development teams.
Your use of resources within this subscription is restricted to developing and testing applications, with no uptime guarantee.
DevTest Plan details
Low DevTest rates
Get discounted rates on all Windows and Windows Server Virtual Machines, App Service, Cloud Services, HDInsight and Logic Apps off your basic agreement rates. The DevTest rate on these services is equal to the rate for a Linux VM of the same size and type, for example:
- A basic instance VM of a medium (A2) Windows Server is billed at the basic instance VM rate of a medium (A2) Linux server.
- A standard instance VM of a large Microsoft website is billed at the standard instance VM rate of a large (A3) Linux website.
- An extra-large (A4) instance of an HDInsight head node is billed at the standard instance VM rate of an extra-large (A4) Linux head node.
Logic Apps Enterprise Connection is billed at 50 per cent of the published price in the Azure Plan.
No additional charge for software through your Visual Studio subscription
The Visual Studio subscription software that you run for development and testing on Azure Virtual Machines, such as Windows Server and SQL Server, is available at no additional charge. Also, with your subscription, you may use preconfigured virtual machine images, such as SQL Server and BizTalk Server, without incurring software charges. Alternatively, you may upload your own VM with software from your Visual Studio subscription. You are only charged at the discounted VM rate.
On Azure Plan for DevTest, you use the software covered by your Visual Studio subscription for development and testing. See the list of Microsoft server software products that are supported on Azure Virtual Machines.
You are responsible for any taxes that might result from receiving services at no charge.
Azure Plan for DevTest is exclusively for you to develop and test your applications. Usage within the subscription does not carry a financially backed service-level agreement (SLA), except for use of Azure DevOps.
Frequently asked questions about Azure Plan for DevTest
No. This plan is not related to the monthly Azure credits for Visual Studio subscribers. Visual Studio subscribers continue to have a monthly credit for Azure use, which is separate from Azure Plan for DevTest. For details, see monthly Azure credit for Visual Studio subscribers.
The monthly Azure credits for Visual Studio subscribers are recommended for:
- Skills development.
- Experimenting with Azure services.
- Light individual DevTest workloads.
- Prototyping and proof of concepts.
Azure Plan for DevTest is ideal for:
- DevTest workloads from developer teams.
- Medium-to-heavy individual DevTest workloads.
Both plans are available when you sign the Microsoft Customer Agreement. However, the plans differ in the following ways:
- Azure Plan for DevTest is restricted to DevTest usage by active Visual Studio subscribers only. The Azure Plan doesn’t have this restriction, so it can have production workloads.
- Azure Plan for DevTest is the only way to run the Windows client in the cloud. It also provides access to special DevTest images in the gallery, such as Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, which are unavailable in the Azure Plan.
- Azure Plan for DevTest provides lower rates on Windows on Azure Virtual Machines, Cloud Services, HDInsight, Azure SQL Database and Web Apps.
- Azure Plan for DevTest is not covered by SLAs.
Yes. If you own the Visual Studio subscription account and have administrator permissions, you can set up a subscription to Azure Plan for DevTest. For more information, please contact your administrator.
You get Azure Plan for DevTest when you sign the Microsoft Customer Agreement. The Enterprise DevTest offer is only available to Enterprise Agreement customers.