Licence Mobility through Software Assurance on Azure
Licence Mobility through Software Assurance gives Microsoft Volume Licensing customers the flexibility to deploy eligible server applications with active Software Assurance on Azure. With this Software Assurance benefit, there is no need to purchase new licences and no associated mobility fees so, you can easily deploy existing licences on the Azure cloud platform.
If you are a Microsoft Volume Licensing customer with eligible* application server licences that are covered by active Software Assurance, you can elect to use Licence Mobility through Software Assurance.
Eligible Volume Licensing programmes include the Enterprise Agreement, Microsoft Enterprise Subscription Agreement (EAS), and Microsoft Open Value Agreement, where Software Assurance is included, and other Volume Licensing programmes where Software Assurance is an option, such as the Microsoft Open Licence Agreement or the Select Plus Agreement.
The following are key requirements for using Licence Mobility through Software Assurance with your eligible Volume Licensing products.
- Licence Mobility through Software Assurance only applies to eligible products as per the Product Use Rights (PUR) document. All products that are currently eligible for “Licence Mobility within Server Farms” and covered by Software Assurance are eligible for Licence Mobility through Software Assurance. In addition to those, certain other products can also be granted Licence Mobility through Software Assurance benefits, and will be identified in Appendix 1 of the PUR.
- Dynamics ERP products, while they are not available through Microsoft Volume Licensing and are not licensed online, have mobility rules that allow for similar use as Licence Mobility through Software Assurance when deploying in shared environments.
- Windows Server, the Windows® desktop operating system, and desktop application products are not included in Licence Mobility through Software Assurance.
- Active Software Assurance coverage is required on eligible licences. All licences used to run and access your licensed software, such as server licences, processors licences, CALs, External Connector (EC) licences, and server management licences require active Software Assurance coverage. Your rights to run licensed software and manage instances on Azure expire with the expiration of the Software Assurance coverage on those licences.
- You need to maintain eligible licences on Azure for a minimum period of 90 days. After the 90-day period, you can move the licensed software back to your premise.
For a list of supported software on Azure, go to https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2721672.
For more information on the requirements for the Licence Mobility Software Assurance benefit (see Appendix 1 of the PUR) and for a full list of eligible server application products (see “Software Assurance Benefits”) at https://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/product-licensing.aspx.
How to Sign Up
As a customer using Licence Mobility through Software Assurance, you must complete a licence verification process. We will then verify that you have eligible licences with active Software Assurance and send confirmation that we completed this verification process. You can deploy your application server software prior to completing the verification process. You are responsible for managing true ups and renewals as required under your Volume Licensing agreement. In addition, you must submit a new verification form when you renew your agreement and when you deploy any previously unverified products.
To start the verification process and review additional details on Licence Mobility through Software Assurance, go to: https://www.microsoft.com/licensing/software-assurance/licence-mobility.aspx.
* Eligible products are identified in the Microsoft PUR under the Appendix “Software Assurance Benefits.” Microsoft Dynamics ERP (enterprise resource planning) products are not licensed through Volume Licensing and are not licensed online, but there are mobility rules that allow for similar use when deploying in shared environments.