Just Released: StockTrader 5.0, Windows Azure Platform End-to-End Sample Application
A new end-to-end sample application called StockTrader 5.0 is now available for free download. This sample application illustrates the use of secure services to integrate private on-premises resources (business services and SQL Server) with the public-cloud Web application running in a Windows Azure Web Role. The application also demonstrates the use of SQL Azure and/or SQL Server to store and manage application configuration data, with one-click changes to configuration settings that automatically get propagated across all Windows Azure or on-premises nodes running the various tiers.
The application shows a complete enterprise application that was migrated from a purely on-premises application, to a Windows Azure cloud application. The application also includes a Visual Studio template and wizard that will enable you to create a multi-tier, structured Visual Studio solution based on the same high-performance design pattern as the sample itself. The template can be used to target both on-premises and Windows Azure/SQL Azure deployments.
The sample is easy to setup, with an automated installer that installs the application and databases for use on-premises, as well as on Windows Azure with SQL Azure. Full source code is included.
The application is also running live on Windows Azure, using a SQL Azure backing database, here. The live version gives you access to a Web UI that shows the Windows Azure instances, SQL Azure databases, and Windows Azure AppFabric caches the application uses—including live status information, latency information, and SQL Azure query performance statistics. You can also browse the on-premise deployed service domains that are running in a private data center on Hyper-V virtual machines managed by System Center and VMM 2012 (beta).
This end-to-end application scenario:
- Demonstrates one code base deployed on-premises in private clouds, on the Windows Azure public cloud, or in hybrid cloud environments.
- Includes a single high-performance data access layer that works with both SQL Server and SQL Azure.
- Demonstrates the use of Windows Azure AppFabric and Windows Server AppFabric caching.
- Demonstrates a multi-tier design, with the use of secure services to integrate service domains distributed across the Internet.
- Can be seamlessly scaled across many Windows Azure instances, or across many on-premise Hyper-V VMs (managed by System Center Virtual Machine Manager).
- An optional desktop smart client (WPF) application uses Windows Azure-hosted business services and SQL Azure.