Azure Virtual Machines gives you the flexibility of virtualisation for a wide range of computing solutions with support for Linux, Windows Server, SQL Server, Oracle, IBM, SAP and more. All current generation Virtual Machines include load balancing and auto-scaling at no cost. For optimal performance, we recommend pairing your Virtual Machines with Managed Disks. Standard egress charges apply.
Choose from the following payment options for Virtual Machines. Combine either option with the Azure Hybrid Benefit for additional savings.
Pay as you go
Pay for compute capacity by the second, with no long-term commitment or upfront payments. Increase or decrease compute capacity on demand. Start or stop at any time and only pay for what you use.Learn more
- Users who prefer the low cost and flexibility of Azure Virtual Machines.
- Applications with short-term, spiky, or unpredictable workloads that cannot be interrupted.
- Applications being developed or tested on Azure Virtual Machines for the first time.
Reserved Virtual Machine Instances
An Azure Reserved Virtual Machine Instance is an advance purchase of a Virtual Machine for one or three years in a specified region. The commitment is made up front, and in return, you get up to 72 per cent price savings compared to pay-as-you-go pricing. Reserved Virtual Machine Instances are flexible and can easily be exchanged or returned.
- Applications with steady-state usage.
- Customers who want budget predictability.
- Customers who can commit to using a virtual machine (VM) over a one-year or three-year term to reduce computing costs.
Purchase unused compute capacity at deep discounts – up to 90 per cent compared to pay-as-you-go prices. *
If your workload can tolerate interruptions and its execution time is flexible, then using spot VMs can significantly reduce the cost of running your workload in Azure. Run your workloads on Virtual Machines or Virtual Machine Scale Sets.
* The maximum discounts will be available when variable pricing becomes effective. Actual discounts may vary based on region, VM type and Azure compute capacity available when the workload is deployed.
- Customers who want to significantly lower their costs.
- Interruptible applications. You can receive a notification 30 seconds in advance before your application is evicted.
- Workloads that do not require completion within a predetermined time frame or an SLA.
Deploying SQL Server in Azure VMs combines the industry-leading performance and security, built-in artificial intelligence and business intelligence of SQL Server, now available on both Linux and Windows, with the flexibility, security and hybrid connectivity of Azure. This enables you to maintain full flexibility and control over the database and operating system, whether Windows or Linux, while enabling full compatibility for lift and shift, dev/test and hybrid business continuity.
- Mission-critical high availability
- Enhanced in-memory performance
- Faster performance with adaptive query processing
- Unparalleled data security
- End-to-end mobile BI with rich visualisations on all major platforms
- In-database advanced analytics built-in at scale with R and Python
- End-to-end database security with Always Encrypted
- Enhanced in-memory performance for all workloads
- Basic reporting
- Basic analytics
- Development and management tools
- Free to use (no software costs)
- Build, test and demo apps in non-production environments
- Free to use (no software costs)
- All Enterprise Edition features available
Example Virtual Machines pricing
Azure Virtual Machines are designed for all budgets and workloads, starting from our economical Bs-series to our newest GPU VMs optimised for machine learning. Explore popular categories:
The Av2 virtual machines offer a cost-effective option for dev-test environments, low-traffic websites and web applications, micro services and small databases.
Our Bs-series VM provides an economical, low-cost solution for workloads that occasionally need to burst, powered by Intel® Xeon® Processors. Free for 12 months.
Raw compute power
Fsv2 is our newest compute-optimised VM family and is powered by the Intel® Xeon® Platinum 8168 (Skylake) processor for raw compute power.
Balanced CPU and memory
Our Dv3 family is the latest generation of our general purpose VMs powered by Intel® Xeon® processors. It is appropriate for a variety of workloads.
High memory-to-core ratio
Ev3 is our latest generation of memory-optimised VMs powered by Intel® Xeon® Processors. It is great for relational database servers, caches and in-memory analytics.